how many times can you treat with reduless?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d47 has also being an ICV yeast produces good aromatics and mouthfeel in cidre in many ways its the sister to d254 but d254 is more tollerant of adverse conditions and low nutrient . D47 is not as fussy as montrachet but can go to h2s if there isn't enough nutrient. that said , I've never had it turn on me when matched with fermaid K.

if you want to ferment really cool to focus aromatics , r2 would also be a good choice its very low temperature tollerant and has similar properties to d254 and d 47.

if your apples are really high in acid and produce a sharp cidre , 71b 1112 will eat 2-10% of the malic acid and take the edge off a bit. I use it for crab apple cidre.

Success!! I wanted to resurrect this thread since I have been reading a lot on this site and came across the thread about using ascorbic acid to reduce the mercaptans back to H2S and then using reduless. Well, it worked. I have no sulfur nose and the wine tastes good according to the War Department. I just wanted to thank the community here for the unique contribution you make to home winemaking. I had never come across a problem like this and thanks to you all I did not have to embrace the D word (dump). Being the winemaker I can tell I lost a little flavor on the last treatment, but I can live with that. May bottle as is or oak and try Noblesse. I suspect I was dealing with mercaptan formation right from the beginning since I did not treat right away and that is why it did not work with the wire or the reduless the first couple of times.

Glad it worked , prevention is the best path but when needed ascorbic is a key last intervention tool. As a winemaker a basic understanding of chemistry is better than blindly following old traditions

The key thing to remember is with h2s the earlier the intervention the better , the later you act the worse the problem and the more radical the intervention needed . And the more the wine is impacted.

It's even possible for the wine to progress to unsalvagable

Last edited:
Not to hijack my own thread back, but what should I use to precipitate the copper out since I treated 3X with Reduless? Will it strip more flavor or is there something that will just pull out the Cu?

As I mentioned in my earlier post , nobless is the best next step , reduless has a lesser impact than cuso4 but nobless will give the wine it's middle back and improve it's fruit nose .

Don't forget to add some so2

Latest posts

Back