How many bottles do you have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I'm impressed with everyone's stash. I would love to see the pic of 900 bottles. Jobe5, your rack is beautiful. I have about 75 on the rack, 3 batches in carboys and one in the primary. I made the mistake of pausing in my production toward the end of last year in anticipation of the LE kits. Big mistake. It might take me a lifetime to overcome that four month lapse but i'm gonna try. Of course, technically speaking, slowing consumption would make inventories rise, but, as we all know,that economic fact has no basis in wine making reality.

Well, consumption hasn't been my issue, But I'm ready for it to be part of the equation just have to wait for a bit of age on the first kit.

I have 29 in bottle and racking from primary to secondary tonight on kit2.

I think a couple hundred is a nice target.

Jobe5 I like the wine rack I may have to copy that design into my bar/gameroom.....

What a great hobby.

I don't know if it's just me, maybe other wine rack makers could chime in, but I could never find a "one size fits all" wine rack, or rack design for me and were I wanted to put it. I found a lot of post, here and on the internet about wine racks and stole some idea's that I thought would work for me. I think I got the idea of insetting the cross members from Masta, The 3 tier bottle stacking per shelf on another thread and the idea of not standardizing my widths on the short little pieces that the bottle goes into due to having many size bottles. So i guess my point would be is to look at would others are doing, see what you like and compare that to what your needs are (or will be), then design your rack, it quite easy. When I build my next one next to this one, I will take pictures and post them. Edited by: jobe05

I agree, Jobe you have a nice rack!
smiley36.gif
No really what do you mea about not standardizing widths of short pcs.

LOL....... Glad you asked because I didn't know if I explained that very well. I was talking about those little 1/2" x 1/2" x 9" pieces of wood that go between each bottle. Some racks are a standard with for 750 ML bottles. The smaller bottles will fall through the opening and te larger bottles will overlap them and roll around and not stack very well. So I have one shelf, top on this rack that has closer spacing for those small or thinner bottles (Like my port bottles). One rack that I spaced them further apart for tos wider 2 litre bottles and well made Large 750 ML Chardonnay bottles, and the rest just fit the 750 ML bottles.

Okay I thought maybe you just closed your eyes and screwed them were ever they fell!

These are the racks we made a couple years ago...they work fine for average sized bottles...

2005-12-05_102355_Wine_Area_1Small.jpg

There is a larger Burgundy style bottle that is tight fit, but can still get them in there...

The plans were from Ron Hazelton's Site....

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/wine_rack.htm

Drawing from Site...

http://www.ronhazelton.com/images/pdf/winerack.pdf

We made 8 racks that hold 24 bottles each to fit on our shelves...we have the racks 2 deep on the shelves...kind of have to make do with the space we had.

Then I use plastic crates laid on their sides to hold other bottles...those work good to stack Bordeaux [Claret] style bottles

Very nice NW, went for the scalloped look. Thats a lot of extra but looks awesome.

My husband grew up in his Dad's cabinet shop and then worked his first jobs with some old masters in cabinet shops...he makes very nice things, but is way too fussy...everything has to be sanded just right...I hate sanding....and after we used an electric sander that had cylinders I was the one doing the last sanding...only with his approval.

The scallops are very nice, and each 24 bottle rack could stand alone in any setting....there are a few bigger bottles that just fit, but the labels get roughed up a bit...that's a tight fit.

I like the wine rack that has all the little boards that hold each bottle....those are very space efficient, and I would love to have one of those too, but our space is very limited....built the house before we got into winemaking, and skimped a bit on the size of the root cellar...crammed as much as we could into a fairly small house....so it goes.

Seems we have enough storage to fit our production/consumption....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Hi Wade:
I have 9 gallonsof mixed fruits and used my new corker
to cork my pear abd blueberry worked like a charm.
Tasted the pear and it sure diffrent from the first taste
it is 6 mo. ( I all most fell off the chair when I gave it a taste
test as it was great) to think I almost put it in the drain

Back