How long will a pH meter last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
This was discussed briefly under another topic, but I'm hoping to get more feedback by stating a new thread. Can someone tell me how long I can expect a pH meter to last before I will need to replace the electrode? The information at MoreWine says the electrode will only last 12-18 months but I've heard from others that it should last much longer, if given proper care. I only expect to make 2, 100 lbs batches from grapes each season so it wouldn't see heavy use.

Thanks!
Jason

Ive only had mine about a year so cant help you here but mine is still working great.

I have one that I originally bought 5 years ago (single decimal point) for checking the pH in the hot tub. It still works great. I just retired it a few months back for a new one with 0.01 accuracy.

I just did some testing today and thought mine was screwed up but I accidently when setting up Calibration moved it over to another setting. Took me awhile to figure that one out!! heheheh, You really should read the instructions!!! :re

I've used them for years at work. Generally every 1-2 years we just replaced the electrode fluid and re-calibrated the meter back to an accurate range.

I think some of the simpler models you just plug in a new electrode and go, sadly, I'm not entirely sure how long those ones last.

Hope this kind of helps... :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys! It's encouraging to hear that I should be able to get more than one or two seasons' use out of a meter before needing to replace the electrode (at ~ $70 a pop for the Phep 5).

I'm trying to put together a cheap-as-possible, but very accurate, wine lab and I was having a hard time getting my head around the purported cost of maintaining a decent pH meter given my modest production level.

On a related note, I put together an SO2 A/O kit very similar to the one offered by MoreWine for less than $50 (hardware only). I got the flasks, pipettes, stoppers from Nova-Tech International, glass tubing, pipette filler from Home Science Tools, the air pump from Amazon and a couple feet of silicon tubing and connectors from my local fish shop.

Thanks again,
Jason

I just did some testing today and thought mine was screwed up but I accidently when setting up Calibration moved it over to another setting. Took me awhile to figure that one out!! heheheh, You really should read the instructions!!! :re
:):)read directions:):) come on, your a guy, guys don't do that

Yep, the parts is cheap, its the phosphoric acid that will get you ($$$). If you find a cheap source let us know.

On a related note, I put together an SO2 A/O kit very similar to the one offered by MoreWine for less than $50 (hardware only). I got the flasks, pipettes, stoppers from Nova-Tech International, glass tubing, pipette filler from Home Science Tools, the air pump from Amazon and a couple feet of silicon tubing and connectors from my local fish shop.

Thanks again,
Jason

I haven't used it myself but I've heard that Miracle Sealants phosphoric acid cleaner works. Home Depot has a 32 oz. bottle for about $10.00.

I notice from reading the product safety sheet that the shelf life is one year, though I'm not sure if that's accurate for use in SO2 testing.

As an alternative, Presque Isle Wine Cellars has a 250 ml bottle (enough for 25 tests) for $6.60, plus shipping, and they say it has a shelf life of three years.

Its the shipping that will kill you. More Wine sells it as well but it must be shipped as a hazardous substance which really drives up the cost of product. They included 100ml of PA in with my A/O kit as that is supposedly the max you could ship w/o paying for the hazardous shipping via UPS or FedEx.

I don't buy this stuff but I remember reading before the PI was the best place to buy it due to shipping. I would call them and ask or check their online catalog.

Yep, the parts is cheap, its the phosphoric acid that will get you ($$$). If you find a cheap source let us know.

I found a LHBS that is a good source for phosphoric acid. They buy 75% in large qtys and dilute for customers. I bought a liter of the 75% from them for $13 - I'll dilute it myself. $.0433 per test run :)

This particular supplier is in St Louis. I'm sure there are others that do the same thing. If you walk in and pick up a bottle, you can save a ton on hazmat shipping fees.

Don't just look on shelves and in catalogs - talk to the LHBS folks and give them a chance to help solve your problems.

Shipping from PI Wine is $14.80, which is their standard UPS ground rate. No special surcharge. More expensive than Home Depot - assuming the tile/grout cleaner will work, or possibly your LHBS, but certainly cheaper than MoreWine.

Latest posts

Back