How long to leave on lees?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8zins

Reaction score
I have 36 gallons of wine from Bello Chilean that has just completed secondary fermentation. I'm planning on topping off but was wondering if it would benefit the wine to have more time on the lees. Or would you rack? These are the varietals and yeasts I used. I also added superferment about half way through primary ferm.

Cab. Franc. L2056-FP
Carmenere. D254-FP
Petite Syrah. D21-FP

Thanks!

Never leave wine on heavy lees. But wine definitely benefits from sitting on the light lees--helps with the aging factor to firm flavors.

Ok. Sounds like I will follow your advice. Makes sense. Just didn't know if I was missing out on a possible positive effect from the special yeasts I bought for the buckets. Thanks, Turock!

The light lees ("dusting" of lees) are comprised of the yeast cells. These are responsible for the flavor. Have you ever heard of a product called "bioless?" It is added in the post ferment to up the wine's flavor and is comprised of yeast cells. Well, that dusting of lees on the bottom of the carboy is the same thing. So, yes, you will get the benefit of your special yeasts by allowing the light lees to remain. When we make the kinds of wines you are doing, we allow the wine to remain in the carboy, on those lees, for 1 to 1 1/2 years. Then bottle and allow the wine to age some more.

Latest posts

Back