How Long Does Wine Actually Last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I see that different wines say that they need to age minimum times. I completely understand that concept.

Often, I see that wines say they peak in 1 year, 2 years, etc. What happens then? If I added 1/4 tsp K-Meta before bottling how long can I realistically expect the wine to last?

I know there's not a magic answer nor a magic time but how do you know when it "goes bad" or what is "too long?"

Asking this, I am reminded of a King of the Hill episode when Bobby was taking some kind of ADHD medicine that made him "super aware" of what was going on around him.

At one point he says, "There is some milk in the refrigerator that's about to go bad, and there it goes."

Edited by: tcb54

Troy, I know that you know that each wine will have a different life expectancy. Wines with more tannins like Bordeaux will last longer and higher abv wines will last longer like a Port. Cellar conditions will also play a big role in this, 55* @ 65% humidity is about optimal with no light or vibrations. Corks also play a big role in all this. A quality 1 3/4" cork will do much better then a cheap 1 1/2". That being said, IMO a high end red wine kit will probably peak around 2-3 years but be good for around 6-8. A lower end red will probably peak around 1 -1/2 years and last around 4 years. A high end white will probably peak around 1 1/2 -2 years and be good for 4-5 years and a low end white will peak around 8 months to 1 year and last around 3 years. This is all speculation and guesstimates. Another thing is to add additional 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons beyond what the kit gives you to boost this time up in the bottle, you will still most likely be below sulphite levels of commercial wines.

Thank you very much for your reply. I always add the 1/4 tsp of K-Meta before bottling, so I should be covered.

Wade pretty much covered it all so I will just add one thing. The time wine lasts isinversely proportionate to the rate it is prepared compared to the rate it is consumed. If you produce 2 kits a year and drink a bottle a week (both low estimates), then your wine won't last long enough to worry about it going bad.
smiley24.gif
smiley29.gif
If you produce more and consume less, it will last longer.

Appleman,

Is this like someone asking how long a tank of gas lasts in their car and then saying that if they don't drive much it lasts a long time but if they drive a lot it doesn't last as long???

smiley2.gif

A bottle has been known to last me up to an hour at dinner...if we have guest, and the wife has me on my best behavior!
smiley36.gif

tcb54 said:
Appleman,

Is this like someone asking how long a tank of gas lasts in their car and then saying that if they don't drive much it lasts a long time but if they drive a lot it doesn't last as long???

smiley2.gif

You got it!

Latest posts

Back