WineXpert How long does the yeast smell last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngg123

Reaction score
I have the WE eclipse Lodi old vine Zin in a carboy for about 3 months so far. Just took a sample last night and it tasted great! However, it still has a strong yeast smell, something that smells of homemade wine. I've notice commercial champagne has some essence of this but not as strong. How long does the yeast smell last? Should I be concerned if it still is present at bottling? (couple months from now). Note this is not a sulfer rotten egg smell, this is the same smell of healthy fermentation.

Why do you think that the smell is a yeast smell? And why would you associate that smell as a homemade wine? I would put mine or a handful of others' wine up against any commercial wine and I can guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant homemade *fermenting* wine .... Not finished product. I've never smelled commercial fermenting wine so I can't relate to that. Anyways, how long does the smell last?

And I don't know for sure that it is a yeast smell but it is a similar smell to that of fermenting wine. Kind of like a sour musky bread smell. So the smell is like a residual fermentation smell. Not nearly as intense as during fermentation but similar in character.

Thanks for the explanation, the wine is just young. The taste and smell is going to go thru changes, give it another month and that smell will be replaced with something, but as it ages you will like the smells and taste better and better. Just give it time, you are doing fine.

I made some apple wine that took about a year to stop smelling like beer. It was real yeasty. Personally i think i didn't let it clear enough before i bottled it. i think the sediment in each bottle was dead yeast.

I like the smell, but if its bothering you you can toss it in the bathtub keep the door closed and turn on the vent fan. That's all it takes to pretty much eliminate the smell throughout my house if I have a reason to.

Just don't put 30 or 40 gallons fermenting in an enclosed area with no vent and go running in there without airing it out or you might find yourself looking up at the ceiling.

I bottled my Eclipse OV Zin at 81 days, yesterday. I decanted the leftover half bottle and had it for dinner. While it does have a young aroma, definitely pepper and a little liquorice, but no yeast. I do rack one extra time, is yours still sitting on the lees?

I've racked it a couple times and clearified so there really aren't any lees left. Will rack once more before bottling. Should I wait until smell is gone before bottling? If it is simply an age issue, will bottle aging take care of it or should I bulk age to be sure?

Does anyone know what I'm taking about with that funky smell that champaign has? Maybe I'm hyper sensitive to it :)

I agree that the smell should fade with time. Have you de-gassed the wine vigorously? I would bet that would help clear any residual odor. Alternatively, you could bulk-age the carboy somewhere for 3-6 more months, and I bet that would also let the smell fade. If you bottle it now, you will trap any odors or gasses in the bottled wine and I doubt it would fade nearly as quickly (like 2-3 years before it faded substantially).

Latest posts

Back