Other How long do you agree your wine and how much if it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmulligan

Reaction score
I've heard that most people drink thirty ruined young regardless of recommended drinking age. I am pretty good about getting to the recommended aging period with probably 28 bottles out of 29 or 30 with most kits. There have been some that I've not had many left by the recommended age though. My first few batches of a new style fall under that category. Such as my first few reds, ports and then white. I do always wait 4 weeks after bottling.

When do you drink yours?

David

I am pretty good about waiting at least a year to try my reds and at least 6 months for the whites. I like to make at least 4 split (375 ml bottles) from each batch, so I can try them first.

Once I determine the wines are not ready, I put them away for some more aging before I try again. If they are not ready, I will not start drinking them regularly.

So far, other than summer wines and ports, I have not found a red I've made that has been ready to drink with less than two years aging.

I'm lucky if I can get 1 case set aside for proper aging. for me, if it tastes good, I drink it :) My problem is, I can resist anything but temptation ;). I'm now trying to make more than I can drink to make waiting easier. I do have some red's that obviously need more time and aging those is a no brainer.

The trick I use is to make some 4 or 5 week kits to distract me from the special kits.

Since making two kits at once is less than twice the work I often do that too. There is also nothing wrong with using a 6-8 week schedule on a 4-5 week kit as long as you get it out of the primary and off the gross lees on time.

So far my favourite fast/early drinking kit is the WE Meza Luna but I want to try the WE Luna Rosa next. I also want to try the white version of each of those kits too.

David

Latest posts

Back