How long can MLF take to complete?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiek

barbiek
Reaction score
started MLF Oct 14 at steady temp of 72-73. VP41 with appropriate nutrients, keeping stirred up once a week, tiny bubbles after I stir, all liquid in airlock at the far side- to me this is meaning that ferm is still happening? Taste a little smoother. No testing purchased, :mnywhich brings me to next question: How long can the testing liquid be stored? And is there any negatives if I were to rack then add kmeta? Should I give it another month or so? As I recall I read it could take 3 mos or more? Don't want to spend all that money on the testing if I can't use it a few times! Thanks a lot much appreciated!:hny

The chromatography test kit sold by morewine and others runs about $75 and will do hundreds of test (depending on how many you load up on a sheet of paper) and will last for years as long as the solvent is kept in a tightly sealed container (supplied) and kept cool. If you only have one or two wines I would cut the paper in half so as not to waste an entire sheet. You have to still get the orientation correct in to the chamber and make sure you have the correct amount of solvent, i.e. read the instructions closely.

The downside to adding SO2 before it finishes is that the wine will still have malic acid which is more tart/harsh tasting. The whole point of this is to improve the overall taste of the wine.

Thank you mike! I knew the reasoning behind MLF And I am planning on purchasing the kit now that I know I can get many uses from it. I was a bit concerned with it maybe producing something like h2s if not fully completed and added sulphate. Any chemist please feel free to educate me
Thanks!

I would also urge you to get the test kit and check it. It is really not possible to tell if MLF is complete by pressure/bubbling alone. Your airlock changes with temps and atmospheric pressure also, so whether it is on one side or the other is not a reliable gauge.

If you don't have H2S problems now, you are not likely to have them. They are mostly caused during primary fermentation when yeast do not have enough nutrients to eat.

As Mike said, you do not want to add sulfite until MLF is complete as it will halt it and make for an unstable wine. If you halt MLF early, the remaining malic acid could start MLF again later in the bottle.

On the other hand, your wine is not fully protected without sulfites. So, ideally you want MLF to complete sooner rather than later so that you can get it protected from other bacteria and oxidation as soon as possible. Thus, testing is important to know when it is done so you do not add too early or let it go too long without sulfite.

Thank you GreginND for that clarification! I will be conducting the test sometime next week and will post the progress. Judging by taste alone I would say about 1/2 way done. I am anxious to find out if my taste buds are correct lol

Well I ran a test on my wine and there is no tartaric present in sample wine one sample wine 2 is partially completed so I ran a second test and still the same results I looked at my notes to see what was added to wine 1 and I didn't add any acid blend, don't trust the blend lol but did add only 1 tsp of tartaric. My question is should I call 1 done and add more tartaric? It does taste a bit blah thanks this pic went upside down! Ph of wine when tested before ferm was3.5

image.jpg

Last edited:
Warmed it from 70 to 72 and ferm is definatly still going on I had it wrapped in an electric blanket and it was getting to warm I forgot I had turned it down oopsy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back