How long can juice be at room temp w/out fermenting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
Purchased Cayuga White juice (with only sulfite added) from local vineyard in eastern PA.

Day 1: After keeping it in fridge for two weeks, brought it to room temp and put 5 gallons of juice into a 6.5 gallon bucket.

Day 2: Added a pound of sugar to raise SG. Two hours later, pitched yeast (sprinkled over juice). Put space heater in room to keep temp between 68-70. Bucket lid is not closed tightly and does have a small hole in top.

Day 4: No visible activity or change in SG. Added yeast nutrient.

Day 5 and 6: Stirred yeast once each day. Still, no fermentation.

QUESTIONS:
How long can the juice be unrefrigerated before it spoils?
Is it time to pitch new yeast?

It may be that your juice has too much SO2 that inhibits yeast, or is too acidic for the yeast to survive. Therefore, if you don't see anything unusual in the juice and don't smell any off odor after the juice was unrefrigerated for that many days, it just may be that they oversulfited it to make sure it does spoil on your way to you.

By the way, just in case that the juice is purposely concentrated its acidity will be higher than your yeast can handle, so in that event I suggest experimenting with some water addition. Of course, you have to figure out what you have by testing acidity and free SO2. Also, instead of sprinkling the dry yeast over the juice, dilute it in about 50 ml (half a cup) of warm water, and then pitch.

It is best to add all initial ingredients (e.g. yeast nutrient) before pitching the yeast, so that the environment is stable and set to welcome the yeast.

Last edited:
Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda, it counter acts the sulfites on initial fermentation. Learned this from a professional winery.

and make a starter batch of yeast also -
Take some juice and go ferm or yeast nutrient and or yeast enginizer to a petri dish and place it in a dark enclosed cabinet for approx 30 minutes until you have a nice head on it - then just pour it in your juice . Do not mix it up or stir it -

then in 12 hours see how your fermentation is doing

Have you been taking hydrometer reading from day one. This is the only way to tell for sure it hasn't started. Some fermentation are very slow. A good yeast starter is also important but instead of a Petri dish I would use a cup and keep adding a bit of wine to it every fifteen minutes until it is full then mix it in.

Apparently, all my juice needed was for me to worry enough to post the question - this morning it's bubbling away without any intervention!

Thanks for your feedback, though. It reminded me to add nutrients BEFORE yeast and I'll jot down the baking soda tip for future use. The wealth of knowledge here never ceases to amaze me!

Thanks again!

I would only use baking soda or calbicarb as a last resort....

Instead, I would first go with some splashing. Pour (splash) juice from one bucket into another bucket. Do this several times. This should reduce your free SO2 while not affecting the PH. It will also provide a good supply of O2 that your yeast will need during lag phase.

Latest posts

Back