How long before racking off again?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader26

Reaction score
I racked from primary to secondary 4 days ago - apple on left and concord on right - should I rack it off all the sediment now or give it a week or longer? ImageUploadedByWine Making1412725151.468180.jpg

I am sorry I do not have an answer, but in a few days I would have the same question. Look at the sediment! Wow...I just started a batch of Concords today so I will now know that's normal.

Primary: Concord grape
Secondary: Apple Berry wine
Bottled: Pinot Noir, Dandelion

Pamnoir my batch of apple - 24 lbs with zero added water or cider is almost all sludge. Not sure I would do all apple again if this sludge layer doesn't condense. The other apple I did had cider added. ImageUploadedByWine Making1412763696.783884.jpg

I just racked last night.

I agree. I was thinking about starting an all apple wine from the tree in the back yard, but I think the best way would be to have them pressed first. With all the work that goes into preparing the fresh fruit, you want something to show for it. With my Dandelion wine I was a little let down on the quantity of the final product, but its a labor of love...and I bottled it in half bottles so it felt like more :)

rack after three days then again in three weeks. apply so2 each time. If you stay on sludge you will have a chance of getting off odors from the sludge. after three weeks apply a fining additive like Super Kleer.

Latest posts

Back