How important is temperature for kit fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
I am about to embark on my first kit. The instructions demand 72 degrees for fermentation. My garage is currently somewhere in the mid 60s, probably low 60s or maybe high 50s soon at night. I don't really have any open space to ferment that is temperature controlled. I could maybe use the tub in the guest bathroom, but that would require moving the fermenter at least once, maybe twice during the process.

Do I need to be running a heater in the garage during fermentation? Should I be running it around the clock? Does it matter if the wine gets moved during the fermentation process? Where to most people in northern climates do their fermentation?

Thanks in advance.

waygorked said:
I am about to embark on my first kit. The instructions demand 72 degrees for fermentation. My garage is currently somewhere in the mid 60s, probably low 60s or maybe high 50s soon at night. I don't really have any open space to ferment that is temperature controlled. I could maybe use the tub in the guest bathroom, but that would require moving the fermenter at least once, maybe twice during the process. Do I need to be running a heater in the garage during fermentation? Should I be running it around the clock? Does it matter if the wine gets moved during the fermentation process? Where to most people in northern climates do their fermentation? Thanks in advance.
I

I would suggest getting it up to 70 until fermentation starts. Once it's going, it generates it's own heat, fermenting in your garage will work fine.

Keep in mind, it will take longer than the instruction's time frame.

In the winter I did my fermentation in a corner of the kitchen. Hi daytime temp of maybe 72F and nighttime down to about 65F. Wrap some towels or small blanket around the bucket to moderate must/juice temperature swing.

On the positive side you've got a great garage temperature for aging and storing your wine.

I live in WI and do my winemaking in my basement (basically all kits). Temps range from 55 in winter to 70 in the summer. In the winter I'll use a brew belt that wraps around my bucket to heat the must. In the summer, I'm usually fine unless I want to do a white wine with lots of fruit to it. Then I'll put my primary fermenter in a big plastic tub with water and some frozen plastic pop bottles. This easily keeps the must in the low sixties if I want it to (replacing the pop bottles as needed).

Is your kit a red or white? Very generally speaking, reds are fermented warmer, mid 70s to lower 80s (must temperature). Whites are fermented cooler, probably lower 70s to mid 60s. If I was you, I would probably ferment in the garage, as far away from any doors to the outside as I could. If it's an attached garage I would try to get the bucket close to the adjoining wall. Keep the bucket off of the concrete floor, on a piece of wood or better yet foam board. I would also consider getting an old sleeping bag to wrap around the bucket to help maintain temps. The ferment will generate heat. I would not try to heat the entire garage. Do you have a floating thermometer or some way to measure the must temp? that will be important.

In any case, if you get the yeasts working and maintain a must temp >60 F, I think you will make some very drinkable wine!

The yeasts provided in wine kits (generally strains like EC-1118, Premier Cuvee, Cote de Blanc) have a very wide range. The yeast selections are provided knowing that some kits are going to be fermented from upper Canada to lower Arizona.

That said, it is always best, as others said, to keep whites cool and reds warm. But I wouldn't *not* make a kit if you can't adhere to that. If you are within the yeast's working temps, go for it.

Back