How fast to French oak chips work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinitenexus

Junior
Reaction score
I added a couple full handfuls to 1 gallon of blackberry wine. I've ready that chips flavor the wine a lot quicker than staves and of course barrels, but how quickly? Will 2 months be enough impart some tannins and flavor into my blackberry wine?

I think you should taste test it after 2 weeks and see what you think. I think I read somewhere that they are good for 4-6 weeks before they are maxed out. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Infin, good question. Thanks for asking. This is good to know.

Dan, does your wife ever read this thread? You must have a comfortable couch! :D

A couple of handfuls to 1 gallon!!!! I think you better check it now and very frequently as thats a lot of chips for 1 gallon!

Thats right on but from what it sounds a couple full handfuls would be that same or more then that for 1 gallon. Luckily its French oak as anything else would have probably already done too much oaking.

Well, I tend to like a pretty hefty amount of French oak in my red wines, so I put a good amount in there. Glad to know it's that quick though, I'll check it in 2 weeks. My wine is still finishing up it's fermenting, it's at 1.01 if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back