How do you dry your tubing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOwino

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out a good way to get my tubing from my auto siphon dry after I clean it.

I clean it, sanitize it and then rinse it with very hot water but I always end up with a little water sitting in it (condensate). How do you guys and gals get it thoroughly dry so no bacteria grow in it while its waiting to be used again?

I blow it out with air from my compressor.
Rocky,

Is this a normal shop or builder type compressor? Or something else? my hoses take days to dry, Not knowing i was afraid to use my compressor thinking it might have oil or something in the air.

I run easy clean thru them.. then star san.... Then put them in a bucket with a glass of k- meta

I remove the hose part with the ridgid tube and hang it up. The outer tube I just lean it so it'll drain.
Thats what I do. I have a 30 litre pail that I use to store wine making equipment. I put the outer tube in it open mouth down.

Steve

Rocky,
Is this a normal shop or builder type compressor? Or something else? my hoses take days to dry, Not knowing i was afraid to use my compressor thinking it might have oil or something in the air.

Derunner, it is a small 2 gallon oil free horizontal compressor that I use in my shop, mostly for a brad or nail gun. If you think your compressor may shoot some oil, put a clean white cloth over the nozzle and hit it a few times.

Once dry, I roll them up and store them in large ziploc bags, then put them with the rest of my winemaking equipment in a large plastic tote. Then I pull them out & sanitize before using.

I got the idea of using ziploc's from the way sterile medical equipment is packed in plastic.

I like to whip each end of the tube (like an old sling) in circles. This seems to force most of the water out. I then hang the tube up.

I don't dry mine I leave the racking cane on, suck in a litte k-meta and form a loop. When I want to use it, dump out the k-meta, wiping some on the outside of the cane. quick rinse and go.

That's what I do, I run meta through before, rinse after and then pump meta through to sanitize and hang up. I get out some of the meta, but leave the rest in.

Latest posts

Back