WineXpert How do I sweeten my Cabernet Sauvignon kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cmason1957 what denomination are you if u don't mind sharing? I'm Orthodox and yes you are totally right island mist will NOT work for us. Do u have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Do you know any Kits that are concord based? I keep trying to find them but I can't :( trying to stay away from grapes because I feel like it's to hectic

Maybe a Concord grape juice? But something high end. I don't know if welch's is actually considered high end lol. I want something that would make I good wine. Let me know thanks guys!

What if I add Concord grapes or juice to the kit? It might give me the desired taste I want. Any thoughts

Last edited:
I was brought up in the Episcopal Church and we always used a very strong Sherry. Not red but an orange red hue to it. Glad I didn't have to finish off the leftovers, it was a rather strong communion wine, though they did add some water to it before serving as part of the Eucharist service. We used a common cup so I'm sure the high alcohol content helped keep nasties at bay.

Maybe you could try purchasing an Island Mist kit, like a Blackberry Cabernet. The Cabernet base of these kits have a starting SG of around 1.050. Get some Welches 100% grape juice concentrate and add it to the kit...enough to bump the SG to what you're desired final alcohol percentage would be. Then back sweeten after fermentation to taste. The kit wine might give the final product a bit more structure than a Welches only wine. If it doesn't turn out well, you haven't wasted a ton of money having attempted the tweaking on a higher end kit.

I'm just spitballing, though...I haven't tried anything like this myself.

Good luck on whatever path you choose!

Guys I think I'm just at going to go with the Cabernet Sauvignon and then add some concord to it at the end and maybe sweeten it. Thanks for all your help :) but I tried a back sweetened Cabernet Sauvignon and it was actually very good. They also added some other concord wine to it and it tasted great and made a great communion wine in the monastery. Thanks for all the help :)

Anyone know what would happen if I add a Concord grape concentrate to the kit prior to fermenting?

And maybe if that doesn't work how about adding it after putting the sorbet?

Anyone know what would happen if I add a Concord grape concentrate to the kit prior to fermenting?

And maybe if that doesn't work how about adding it after putting the sorbet?

If you add it before, you will increase the sugar content, and thereby get a stronger wine (assuming the yeast can tolerate the eventual ABV). It will not be any sweeter than a normal wine.

If you add the sorbet, you will get a fine frozen dessert. ;)

If you add the concentrate to your fermented kit after adding potassium sorbate, you will get a sweetened wine with a slightly Concord-y flavor. I think this is the option you want!

Lol sorry for the typo sorbate* :) thanks so much! I'll go with the last option haha

Should I think about adding Concord grapes or raisins during primary fermentation to give it more body?

Latest posts

Back