How do I reduce the tartness in whites?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stutzcattle

Junior
Reaction score
I have some edelweiss and some Seyval that are both done with fermentation and are pretty tart. I haven't sweetened and am just wondering if the tartness will decrease on it's own or if I have to do something. The pH on both is about 3.3

stutzcattle said:
I have some edelweiss and some Seyval that are both done with fermentation and are pretty tart. I haven't sweetened and am just wondering if the tartness will decrease on it's own or if I have to do something. The pH on both is about 3.3

Take a sample and chill it for a week, see if any tartaric acid precipitates out.

If not, adding sugar will cut the acidicy.

If the wine is just done fermenting, it is way too early to expect the "green" tart/bitterness to be gone. rack it over to a clean carboy off the lees and let it age 6 months then taste it, 1 yr would be even better. As it ages it will mellow.
Have you tested the TA, PH, SO2? This is very important in order to adjust your wine.

The way I see it, you have two options.

1) add sugar - This will mask the tartness, but make the wine sweeter and could also lead to an additional fermentation (if sorbate is not used)

2) adjust DOWN the acid. Seems that the PH is a little low (acid level is too high) at 3.3.

I would recomend that you try a bench trial. Pour three glasses. Add sugar to one, k-bicarb to one, and leave one alone for a control. Taste them and see which one you like best.

Latest posts

Back