How do I properly use my Fast Rack Fast Fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am new to using this conical vessel and I am afraid I may have ruined my first batch of Barolo wine. When I bought the unit, the guy told me to add all products according to instructions and fermentation would begin in a day or so and that did happen. OK - I was then told to open the valve and let the sediment drain into the collection ball for about 5 - 7 days...remove ball, empty, re-sanitize and place back on Vessel. He then told me to wait about 10 days, close the valve, remove and drain the collection ball once again, replace the sanitized ball, open valve until second fermentation stops. This is what gets me...He told me to let the wine sit untouched for 4 weeks? Then degas, wait a day or 2 and remove ball and sanitize for future use. Now that I have thrown away 3 pints of wine, after 4 weeks, hasn't oxygen got into the extra head space in the vessel? 6 gallons of juice in an 8 gallon vessel? Even with all that removing of the ball, I still had sediment enough to clog the filler tube and I couldn't bottle until I dropped about another 1/2 pint of wine out. Anyway, in the past when using a carboy, I have sampled wine throughout the process and it was good even before bottling, However, this wine is tart and nothing like Barolo. It isn't vinegar, so I am hoping 6 months aging will bring this wine to life. In the meantime, I would appreciate any advice from people who are using the Fast Fermenter and know how to properly get a good wine.
Thanks
Joe

I havn't used on of those fermenters, but as for the tartness of the wine.. Next time you try some, draw a glass, taste it, add a little sugar to it, taste again. If it needs it, add some more. Letting it age will help some with the tartness also. If you wind up wanting to sweeten the next batch, make sure you stabablize the wine before sweetening or it will most likely referment. Arne.

I havn't used on of those fermenters, but as for the tartness of the wine.. Next time you try some, draw a glass, taste it, add a little sugar to it, taste again. If it needs it, add some more. Letting it age will help some with the tartness also. If you wind up wanting to sweeten the next batch, make sure you stabablize the wine before sweetening or it will most likely referment. Arne.

Thanks Arne, but I think I am OK - My wife and I opened the first bottle I bottled and it was pleasantly different than what I sampled from the wine thief. The tartness was gone and after we let it breath for a bit, it was a beautiful, crisp, strong dry wine...You can tell it was very young, but this is going to be a great one after a few months. I will keep your suggestion in mind...Thanks for the help!

Back