RJ Spagnols How do I Lengthen the finish on Kit Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocroach

Reaction score
Hi. Are there any modifications I can do to my kits to lengthen their finish, or is this something that comes with age?

I've made quite a few now (most all high end - Mosti Mondiale, RJS and Cellar Craft) and I find the flavours sort of just vapourize off the palette after the first sip.

So far, I've done some experimenting with using different yeast strains and have just starting using oak spirals (too early to tell if the oak spirals have made a difference.)

The kits that I have in the queue right now are: RJS RQ2014 Monastrell-Petit Verdot, RJS WS Tempranillo and Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cabernet.

With reds. I have found that adding tannins up front really helps kit wines.

Get some Tancor Grand Cru (finishing tannin). You can add it after fermentation during your bulk aging phase.

Agree with the tannin comments. I experimented with my Monastrell/Petit Verdot by adding tannin in primary. With my big reds, i've been barrel aging, and giving them a dose of Tancor Grand Cru a month or so prior to bottling.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I will definitely try adding up front and prior to bottling.

Which type/brand of tannin are you guys adding up front? I went on Laffort's website to check out Tan' Cor and am confused about which to add during fermentation. There's a lot to choose from.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back