Horizontal Heat Tunnel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have this piece of equipment for putting your shrink cpsules on I came up with a great solution. It seems like half of the shrick tops would melt off the top. Well i took mine apart and removed the metel bumper in it that stops the bottle from going any further forward. What was happening was this piece was getting too hot and melting the capsule. With it out of there every capsule I did (220) came out perfect yesterday. It worked absolutely like Wade says his older model does.

using steam, hot water, hair dryer or heat gun, works fine when doing a case or so of bottles. In Dans case of 220 bottles, that would be about a days worth of work and the steam method would make your house like a sauna...
Thats one thing I love about making wine, you can do it with just a few house hold items or go all out just short of a full winery. There are a lot of things in between that can be bought or made to make things very easy.

For those of you that have this piece of equipment for putting your shrink cpsules on I came up with a great solution. It seems like half of the shrick tops would melt off the top. Well i took mine apart and removed the metel bumper in it that stops the bottle from going any further forward. What was happening was this piece was getting too hot and melting the capsule. With it out of there every capsule I did (220) came out perfect yesterday. It worked absolutely like Wade says his older model does.

I might have to try that - i burned a few b/c that plate gets hot.

JohnnyRico said:
Does anyone use the boiling water method other than me?

My father in law does, he got some little wire thing that hold them in place while you invert the bottle into the water.

Does anyone use the boiling water method other than me?

Yes there are a number of folks that use that meathod. I feel it would be best to put the capsules on first though before the labels, preventing the hot dripping water to spoil your good label. What do you think Johnny, is this what you do?

Yes there are a number of folks that use that meathod. I feel it would be best to put the capsules on first though before the labels, preventing the hot dripping water to spoil your good label. What do you think Johnny, is this what you do?

YeSSir. Caps go on first, then Labels. Also, I dont use an apparatus to hold the cap as it goes in the water. Instead, I use the tip of my finger and I carefully dip the end of the bottle neck into the water. Once the tip is in and shrunk, you can let go of the cap and submerge the whole thing. The whole process for one bottle takes a few seconds or so once you get good at it.

YeSSir. Caps go on first, then Labels. Also, I dont use an apparatus to hold the cap as it goes in the water. Instead, I use the tip of my finger and I carefully dip the end of the bottle neck into the water. Once the tip is in and shrunk, you can let go of the cap and submerge the whole thing. The whole process for one bottle takes a few seconds or so once you get good at it.

I also do the caps before the labels... Did my first batch last week of 25 bottles and thought about using my finger but didn't want to risk being burned in boiling water.

I took an old butter knife and bent the tip into an L shape to hold it on.. Quick dunk in and it worked perfectly. I didn't see the need to buy a holder because I will only be doing 20-30 at a time so this works for me ..

Dan, do you hold your bottles against that metal? I just touch it just to make sure the capsule is pushed down then start backing away as its almost done by then anyway. For those of you who would want to know the real name its called a Horizontal Thermo Encapsular.

Wade, the same as you, I just bump it quickly to ensure capsule is pushed on. It really is too close and get very hot. This only effects certain capsules, the ones that have an extra decorative tab on the end of them. Of all the capsules the gold ones are the most delicate and prone to burning if you're not quick.

I have noticed the same thing Dan. I have gotten so I don't go in quite all the way and give it a quick twist as some of the coil gets hooter so it melts that area of the capsule first. I will have to check into your solution.

I have noticed the same thing Dan. I have gotten so I don't go in quite all the way and give it a quick twist as some of the coil gets hooter so it melts that area of the capsule first. I will have to check into your solution.
Rich I t was simple to do and solved the issues on all the capsules. You can actually still quickly insert the bottle and tap the back shield and pull the bottle out and get a perfect job. Even the capsules I accidently got for screw cap bottles are coming out good.

Rich I t was simple to do and solved the issues on all the capsules. You can actually still quickly insert the bottle and tap the back shield and pull the bottle out and get a perfect job. Even the capsules I accidently got for screw cap bottles are coming out good.

Just removed mine - remove 4 screws from the housing - and then the two that hold the plate on - pretty simple.

I will check it out tomorrow when I go back to the winery. My feet are aching after days of pruning almost non-stop. I figure I am about half done. It is strange to be pruning in a T-shirt instead of a snow hat and gloves.

Latest posts

Back