Homemade Wine Glass & Cheese Dish(?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about one of the higher end Dremel tools with an appropriate cutoff blade?

I use a Dremel tool to clean up any sharp edges on the stem section. AFIREGUY is right, we use a big 12 horse power 2 cycle saw contraption. That scares the bejeezus out of me to cut stems that way. It brings back images of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I did see a YouTube method of cutting glass underwater with scissors and will try that at work next time. I don't see why it wouldn't work and be lots safer.

Waldo, I talked tomy wood working friend up in Benton and he says you two used to work together. I think he's going to contact you soon and is working on his first set of wooden wine glasses. His last name is Kennedy so I hope that rings a bell for you.

I use an RTV clear compound of silica adhesive to bond the glass to the wood. That way the changes in the wood, with temp & humidty, won't effect the glass. Have to do it just right so you get a clear uniform grip otherwise it looks splotchy and is weak and too much and you get big glob coming out the sides.Edited by: WoodTurner

WoodTurner said:
Waldo, I talked tomy wood working friend up in Benton and he says you two used to work together. I think he's going to contact you soon and is working on his first set of wooden wine glasses. His last name is Kennedy so I hope that rings a bell for you.
smiley5.gif
What is his first name woodturner? Can't quite place him yet !!!

Waldo said:
WoodTurner said:
smiley5.gif
What is his first name woodturner? Can't quite place him yet !!!

I sent you a PM Waldo.

afireguy said:
"This has been a topic of conversation on other boards of which I'm a member. Haven't thought of anything yet and using a gas powered saw contraption like I use now isn't safe or practicle. When I figure something out I will share it for custom wine making accessories guys and gals like us. "

I cant see anyproblemswith the way weve been cutting off the stems,
I would say the 12horse, 2 stroke concrete extrication sawhas been working quite well......
smiley2.gif
But then again Im working the end with the trigger throttle, while your sticking your hands in front of the rotating blade......yeal now that I think about it.....I cant see anyproblemswith the way weve been cutting off the stems........lol
smiley36.gif

After watching that YouTube video about cutting glass under water I tried a wine glass and was able to easily remove the stem under water with a pair of scissors. A lot safer. It was like cutting thick plastic or rubber. If anyone tries it please be sure to think safe before just diving right in. I think I'll use this method to cut glass now for those wooden wine glasses.

Hey there woodturner post the youtube site about cutting glass under water

Harry

I hope rrawhide doesnt mind me posting a pic of what he turned on his lathe but i thought they were to awesome not to. They are wine bottle tops with the rubber stoppers to protect the wine from aerating.
20071219_165958_stopper.jpg

Those are nice. That was one of my other projects I was talking to DKennedy about. My problem is finding a source for the stopper at a good price.

20071224_203241_wood_turning_2.JPG

The 2 letter openers are made of long leaf pine from the cotton sheads in Galveston Texas and they were built in the early 1900's. The round box is a piece of oak dunage i got from work. Tall vases made from spalted oak out of my brother in laws yard, Also made a bowl out of it but cant find the pic . Wine bottle stoppers are different woods dont remember where i got the wood. Will send more pics when i find them.
Harry

Woodturner have you tried Penn State Industries for your source of stoppers? Edited by: jhawk

Nice items Harry. I haven't made any wine bottle stoppers yet. Talking with my friend in Arkansas we may try to put together some items for the wine & cheese crowd.

I love it when folks can salvage wood from their part of the country and make beautifuluseful items out of it.

Latest posts

Back