Homemade Wine Glass & Cheese Dish(?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTurner

Reaction score
20071211_194721_Eucharist_Plate.jpg

Here are two glasses that are for personal use. They are of locally scrounged walnut logs. The plate is for a church auction, but gives you an idea of a possible cheese platter. This plate shown won a 4th prize, Honorable Mention in the 2007 Texas State Fair competition. It has 90 pieces of wood and sterling silver and is 12" diameter. I've got several combos around the house like this.

Very nice skills! You certainly have a talent that I wish I had.

If that plate won fourth place, the others must be absolutely unbelievable. Great job woodturner. You have a real talent and love for the wood.

Nice segmented turning, WT. Do you use a sled to cut your segments?

First of all thank you everyone. I don't have a sled at this time. My table saw is dangerous so I use the bandsaw, then cut the final segment to fit what may be an odd size.
I also use Tung Oil so after curing it is safe to eat or drink from. I can't stand to see all these trees that getbroken from storms or cut down by developers go to waste. There is another person on this board that I gave a smaller lathe to and am trying to get him to make some of those wine glasses also. He has made candle stick holdersand I love those things (or a home madetea light set) to go with our wooden wine glasses for aspecial dinner for momma and myself. I'm just wondering what other wine accessories I could make - any ideas? Those beer tap levers are easy so I haven't really spent much time on that.

You could make a 6 gallon French Oak Barrel for oaking and aging. You could make the barrel, the stand, the bung and the spigot.

Edit: It doesn't have to be round, it could be 8 sided or just 4 sided with dovetail joints and just inset the ends into a mortise joint.

Edited by: jobe05

Cuz then It would be an Oak Box and not an OakBarrel....hehe.
Just Kidding,
smiley36.gif
...My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of drinking some fortified Port out of one of these beautiful wine glasses....it was very inspiring.....but I had to carry my wife home when we left Woodturners house..and she wasntquiteas inspiried as I was.....especially when she found out it was fortified with Everclear.........lol
smiley4.gif

I think we need to get our heads together and try a few home made martini glasses, cognac glasses and the such. I don't want to recommend our glass cutting procedure because someone may get hurt. I'm surprised we haven't gotten hurt in breaking them stems off yet. How many horse power is that cutter we use? I thought of putting a smaller disc on my grinder or making a hand crank one for safety. After using that thing I need a drink of Port to steady my nerves!!!
smiley2.gif

afireguy said:
Cuz then It would be an Oak Box and not an OakBarrel....hehe.
Just Kidding,
smiley36.gif
...My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of drinking some fortified Port out of one of these beautiful wine glasses....it was very inspiring.....but I had to carry my wife home when we left Woodturners house..and she wasntquiteas inspiried as I was.....especially when she found out it was fortified with Everclear.........lol
smiley4.gif

Could you get something like a pipecutter with a diamond tip on it? Spin it around the stem and break it off like apiece of glass. I knew a girl who blew glass at Santa's Workshop at The North Pole, NY at Whiteface Mountain. She can blow just about anything out of glass.(Had to word that one carefully). Quite amazing to watch the process. Maybe you guys should give it a try. You are great with the turning.

My friend blows glass and I did a couple pcs once.He used to teach it at Southern Ct. state University. He now has his
own set up in his house but I havent seen him in years.

appleman said:
Could you get something like a pipecutter with a diamond tip on it? Spin it around the stem and break it off like apiece of glass. I knew a girl who blew glass at Santa's Workshop at The North Pole, NY at Whiteface Mountain. She can blow just about anything out of glass.(Had to word that one carefully). Quite amazing to watch the process. Maybe you guys should give it a try. You are great with the turning.

This has been a topic of conversation on other boards of which I'm a member. Haven't thought of anything yet and using a gas powered saw contraption like I use now isn't safe or practicle. When I figure something out I will share it for custom wine making accessories guys and gals like us.
smiley23.gif

Just go to EBay and type in "Stemless" There are a lot of wine type glasses available at somewhat reasonable prices. Now what glue to use?

"This has been a topic of conversation on other boards of which I'm a member. Haven't thought of anything yet and using a gas powered saw contraption like I use now isn't safe or practicle. When I figure something out I will share it for custom wine making accessories guys and gals like us. "

I cant see anyproblemswith the way weve been cutting off the stems,
I would say the 12horse, 2 stroke concrete extrication sawhas been working quite well......
smiley2.gif
But then again Im working the end with the trigger throttle, while your sticking your hands in front of the rotating blade......yeal now that I think about it.....I cant see anyproblemswith the way weve been cutting off the stems........lol
smiley36.gif
Edited by: afireguy

Well that explains the aprehension WoodTurner has for the method! Better wear some heavy duty gloves while holding the crystal goblets!

Latest posts

Back