Home Depot Wine Rack "Kit"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been here so I thought I would jump on and share my experiences with my new wine rack kit I got at Home Depot! The kit came packaged nice and compact:

Only had to do a few minor modifications to it, which included:
Cutting them to size and sand them smooth:

Make a few dado cuts in strategic places on a few of the boards:

Use my hand planner to plane a few (64) 3/4"x3/4" dowel rods down to 45* triangles:

Using a jointer, frame and box the rack plumb:

Assemble all the parts:

3 coats of stain:

5 coats of polyurethane and enjoy it!

Easy as can be! Only took the better part of 3 weeks from start to finish. Well worth it though. It'll hold about 172 bottles! I learned a few things from this "kit" that I will do differently if I ever need/want to build another.

HA! I love it. I have a picked up a few 'kits' at Home Depot and Lowes over the years.

Excellent job!

Did you make plans, or just wing it? (If you made plans, will you share?)

Awesome!

Inspiring. My other hobby is woodworking so maybe one of these days.

Make two when you do. I need one also! :h

Hey, this time last year it could have happened. I was living in Southbury, CT and my basement woodworking shop was still up and running. Danbury being only a few towns away I'd guess shipping wouldn't of cost you more than maybe 500-600 dollars.
smilie.gif

Thanks everyone! It was a lot of fun and I learned a few things along the way......like have HD rip/cut the 4x8 boards for you because your table saw isn't big enough to accommodate large sheets like that. Had I'd done that it would had been 10x better. Yes I have plans on this. I got them HERE and am more than happy to help out if anyone wants to make this. Another suggestion if you don't mind spending the money, is by the quarter-round trim and cut to size rather than shaving off the dowel sticks. More money, but WAY less work.

Back