Hmmm...What to do ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paubin

Reaction score
Ive got very limited time before I have to move again so I've been thinking on what to make that I can have in bottles quick. As I prefer to bulk age all my meads at least a year before bottling, that is right out the window. Ive done a few ales already...the last a breakfast stout, ( oatmeal,choclate, coffee ), that came out awesome, even though it was a lil to powerful for breakfast...lol. So I started thinking on what to do and while browsing old posts, it came to me like a flash.....A braggot seams in order. Half mead, half beer. The perfect combination that will solve my urge for mead but be fast enough to avoid bottling earlier than I like. Now here is where you all come in....Im bouncing around some ideas in the old noggen, I'd like to do a melomel type so I'm thinking maybe a cranberry, pumpkin or possibly a tropical theme. Just not sure yet. Gimmee yur thoughts or different ideas so I can make up my mind and get a recipe worked up.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Hey V, that blue sounds great ! The down point is that it is going to take longer than I have. I'm thinking that I may have to hold off on that one until I have at least 2 months. I just got the word today that I'll be in NY on 16 Dec. I may only have the time for an ale. It's such a bummer....no holiday braggot for Pete this year. I guess I'll just have to suffer though with the 4 year old raisin sherry I made. Heehehehee

Pete

4 year old raisin sherry sounds pretty good to me. A bunch of mine are starting to hit that age and wow are they outstanding. Can't wait for the meads to get there. Good luck with the move and please share what ever braggot or mead or even sherry (cause we are all looking for new ideas) that you make. Hey maybe you'll have a chance to make something for next years enjoyment over the holidays.
VC

I usually make raisin mead for the holidays. It's very rich with a lot of mouth feel. I use sherry yeast which sets it off really well. The one I have still I did fortify to 22% abv.

Pete

One thing about fortifying I'd like to add for those thinking about trying it! After you fortify, let it bulk age for a couple weeks. You would be amazed at how much additional sediment will drop once you get it up to 20-24% abv. You dont want that in your bottles.

Pete

Hey Pete! How are you likin' the freezing rain? Nice, isn't it? =)

paubin said:
One thing about fortifying I'd like to add for those thinking about trying it! After you fortify, let it bulk age for a couple weeks. You would be amazed at how much additional sediment will drop once you get it up to 20-24% abv. You dont want that in your bottles.

Pete

I'll second this!

It's great, that freezing rain. Alythough it is washing away all the bear tracks from my back yard before I could take a pic for you all. Found the tracks less than 30 feet from my back door...Probably a black bear.

Pete

Your bear has good taste. Perhaps you have this to look forward to:

20091214_075219_bear_eating_gra.jpg

Latest posts

Back