hilean Chardonnay/Semillon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
Chilean Chardonnay/Semillon

We bought frozen Chilean Chardonnay/Semillon from Fine Vine Wines.

I am pretty clear on what I have to do which is little but it did come with oak chips.
2 bags of light and 1 bag of heavy it looks like even though they don't say for certain.

Unsure if we want to oak, but if we do ...... add all of it some a little of each...
any one have an opinion with resulting outcome.

Thanks

T&K

Last edited:
Some like oaked Chards, some don't. Where do you stand on this subject?

Maybe add just some of the oak during fermentation. Don't bottle for at least six months. That way, after the tartness of its youth wears off, you can taste and see if it needs more oak, and add as you please. After six months, I would not use oak powder; use cubes, beans, staves, or spirals. During oaking, taste the wine every two weeks or so and remove oak when it is just right for you and yours.

Some like oaked Chards, some don't. Where do you stand on this subject?

You know now that you mention it.... I have no idea.

I may have to go buy a couple bottles. one oaked and one not. '

Thanks for the tip

You can try a bottle of Toasted Head or Jlohr if you want to taste a heavily oaked Chardonnay.

alright so I went out and bought a bottle of Toasted Head, and a bottle of Mer Soleil Silver chardonnay.
I have to say I did not care much for the Toasted Head.
I will not oak our Chardonnay/Semillion.
The Oak flavors were just too prominent and overpowered the wine.
Thanks Fish I for the advice.

You are welcome. I guess oak is either a love it or hate it thing. I love oak but I have a hard time replicating the oaked commercial wines with oak chips or cubes. So if you are not a fan oak it’s easier in that respect. Good luck with your wine.

So this wine is 4 months old now and the other night we opened a bottle(two) and were very impressed how well this turned out. it is actually the best chardonnay I have ever drank.

I think we may do another batch of the next year.... can't wait to see what its like in a year or two.

That's great! Being the grapes came from Chili, the resulting wine is likely more a Burgundian style Chardonnay. Many of the wines from Chili lean heavily toward the French style.

Since you like it so much, you likely would prefer a Chard from France over a Californian or Australian Chard. To test this, give each a try, just for the fun and education of it all.

Lots and lots of wine drinkers of the world will agree with you.

By the way, this wine may or may not improve in two years. Sometimes one Chard can peak before two years; others can last much longer. Just saying this so you don't allow your good wine to start going downhill before you drink it all. Having said that, I never even open mine before one year.

Last edited:
Back