High filnishing SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
The last four wines I have made, Pear, Old Orchard Grape, Elderberry and Welchs
Grape have all finished between 1.008 and 1.010. I have checked my hydrometer in
water and it reads 1.000. I ferment in a converted gas grill that has temperature control and I control the temperature at 75* . I have used 1122, red star premier cuvee, 118 and 1116. I have fermented approx 75 to 100 batches of wine in the grill, its kept pretty clean, but not sanitized. I know to add all the information I can to this post, but I can't think of anything else to add. Any ideas? and thanks
Semper Fi

what was your starting sg on these batches? above the tolerance of the yeast?

With 1118 and 1116 not fermenting dry, are your nutrients fresh? I mostly use the 1116 and it generally gets down to between 0998 and 0996 when the og is 1100. 1118 should generally power through.

I should have included this in original post: Starting SpGr on all batches are 1.085 or very close to it. Don't really know how old the yeast nutrient is, bought it at the LBS about 6 months ago. The wine fermented rather fast on all 4 wines about 3 or 4 days and stopped at 1.010, checked it for another 7 days and it didn't move. I started another 4 gallons of welchs grape concentrate yesterday using 1116, hope it goes dry.
Semper Fi

I normally ferment with the top covered with a towel until it gets to ~1010 and then rack to secondary to finish fermenting dry.

When the wine seems to have stopped fermenting early, give it a really good stir but not so much that you stir in a lot of air.

I like to add my nutrients in stages. 1/3 at the start 1/3 at about half way and 1/3 when I move to the secondary. This seems to keep the yeast working and happy right through the ferment. I read a article on nutrient and vitamin addition though I can not remember which one and the pro said that adding all the nutrients up front some times causes the yeast to stall when the nutrient is gone.

Thanks, I'll try adding the nutrient as recommended and stir more often.
Semper Fi

Back