High Acid/Low pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I started to say what I think the acid does, "keeps it from going bad", but I'm not sure that is right. Do I need to get the pH down that low, a wine that I have that is 6 months old is one that got overlooked, keeping a wine 6 months just doesn't happen with me. I would like to make wine without adding any acid blend. What's the down side to not adding any acid blend?
Thanks

Semper Fi

Acid levels are important; to low can be susceptible to bacterial growth and spoilage, to high can effect yeast growth. Also can effect wine taste by changing the way the wine ferments. You should adjust after testing using tartaric or blend to up acid and lower pH. Calcium Carbonate or Potassium Bicarbonate are used to lower acid and raise pH. Never add blindly as fruit changes in acid from year to year or area to area or even ripe to real ripe. Also a good rule is to figure out what you think is needed and only add half and recheck. Most of this is from the book Enjoy Home Winemaking... A Guide for the Beginner. If you get a chance pick up a copy, it helped me a lot.

Latest posts

Back