Hi, I am Matt the wine making newblet!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davolous

Reaction score
After watching a YouTube video I figure out that making one batch of Welchs concentrate wine basically pays for the carboy you make it in. I started making wine about sixes months ago, and justified buying several carboys to start new batches before my first one was done.

Lately I have been saving my Welchs concentrate for seconds, after making a batch frozen fruit.

I currently have 30 gallons cooking, and plan to get a couple more carboys tomorrow to try a batch DangeDave’s Dragon’s Blood with a round of Welchs seconds of course.

Well thats me!
:b

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, those are good places to start learning your winemaking skills. Perhaps with time you will eventually start experimenting around with some fruit wines or perhaps even grape wines. Good things come from those who explore!

Thanks everyone.

LoneStarLori I am a hobbyolohic.

Yeah Seth, right now I have Strawberry, Blueberry, and watermelon cooking. Planning on starting traditional batch of DangerDave's Dragon's Blood ASAP. I still haven't even tried a kit yet.

I am holding off on grapes until they are in season here in Ohio. Then I just have to find a good pick your on grapes place.

Welcome to WMT!

Reads like you hit the ground running on this wine making hobby. Good for you.

Keep us up to date on how the watermelon turns out. I hear its a little fickle.

I only did a gallon on the watermelon, and a gallon of seconds. The second's dropped gravity from 1.07 to 1.00 in 2 days at 73 degrees. I am going to guess and say it will be sharp for a very long time.

All my other fruit are 5 or 6 gallon batches. I only did one gallon for watermelon because I read it was harder to make. However, if it works out watermelon would be the perfect crop to grow in my small yard.

Keep us up to date on how the watermelon turns out. I hear its a little fickle.

A little fickle? Plan on babysitting it! Mine was a flop even with close monitoring. But I did make it from fresh fruit planning to get a kit here soon. Are you using fresh fruit? WATCH THE TEMP closely that's all I can say

I only did a gallon on the watermelon, and a gallon of seconds. The second's dropped gravity from 1.07 to 1.00 in 2 days at 73 degrees. I am going to guess and say it will be sharp for a very long time.

All my other fruit are 5 or 6 gallon batches. I only did one gallon for watermelon because I read it was harder to make. However, if it works out watermelon would be the perfect crop to grow in my small yard.

Ha, a crop you say? From my personal experience with melons all one needs to do is break one of those buggers in the back yard and you have an infestation.

I have thought about coming up with a method for doing watermelon wine. My idea is to get a fermentation rolling with something like whitegrape juice or perhaps honey. And then once it is all nice and going full speed ahead go in and add my watermelon to the batch.. Of course, the trouble would lie in keeping the water melon flavour at the forefront.

Ha, a crop you say? From my personal experience with melons all one needs to do is break one of those buggers in the back yard and you have an infestation.

I have thought about coming up with a method for doing watermelon wine. My idea is to get a fermentation rolling with something like whitegrape juice or perhaps honey. And then once it is all nice and going full speed ahead go in and add my watermelon to the batch.. Of course, the trouble would lie in keeping the water melon flavour at the forefront.

yea white grape is good and you would only need 1/2 - 1 can of white grape concentrate You can always use a lil watermelon flavor I had to use some flavoring to mine and only put watermelon in and it was blah! The white grape will enhance the flavor. When I made my gooseberry sparkling I added some white grape cuz it was blah without it!. Now I can't wait for summer to try the watermelon again!

Welcome, We Buckeyes are taking over.

Where in OH are you from?

And dive into a kit, if you like grape wines.

A little fickle? Plan on babysitting it! Mine was a flop even with close monitoring. But I did make it from fresh fruit planning to get a kit here soon. Are you using fresh fruit? WATCH THE TEMP closely that's all I can say

I did not monitor the temp very well. Probably around 72 degrees F. What temp would I want to keep watermelon at?

I made my seconds with white Welchs.

I did not monitor the temp very well. Probably around 72 degrees F. What temp would I want to keep watermelon at?

I made my seconds with white Welchs.

around 65 to start and 73 at the end to make sure its done fermenting and red star premiere cuvee is what I used. Got some beautiful pics of it before it messed up

Finally, I tasting that Watermelon seconds. I can't decide if the watermelon spoiled or not is has a slight rubbery taste to it. Probably the worst wine I ever made. Now I am going to have to go on a Watermelon wine mission and make one that tastes good.

Going to wait until local watermelons are in season, and add lemon juice to help preserve it until it ferments.

Welcome, We Buckeyes are taking over.

Where in OH are you from?

And dive into a kit, if you like grape wines.

Sorry missed this post. Close to Massillon/Canton area.

Davelous,

Welcome. And if you're gonna make a batch of Dragon Blood, you'd better make 2. It goes fast!!!

We usually meet at Luva Bella just outside Youngstown. Make sure to watch the board and show up as you are always welcome to come to our winefest meetings.

Latest posts

Back