Hi from Moncton NB, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ypedal

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I found this forum googling for info on degassing wine, and after messing around with a vacuum pump for a while .. well.. one things leads to another.. and here i am !.

My name is Gaston, yeah, acadian, used to make wine all the time in my early 20's and then gave it up to make time for other hobbies, recently started again after a major change in life ( 16 years in tech support for a shipping company, got " severed " .. ) .. so with a limited budget, i dusted off my old equipment and got back into it after finding Costco kits for 40$ ( 2 x 23 L kits in a box ) ..

Video i made recently of my pump exploits..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdlt45LRBbY[/ame]

Fun times !.

Cheers !

Welcome, Gaston. Even though it is good you are back to wine making, sorry for the reason why. Hope you get "un-severed" really soon.

Thank you !

About the job, well, at first i was pissed, shocked, etc etc etc.. but after many weeks of pondering the whole ordeal, it's sort of a blessing in many ways..

if anyone cares to read the long version :
http://ypedal.com/blog/blog.htm

Trying to get my EI claim accepted, that is turning into another drama of it's own, been paying into it for all those years, i finally might be able to get something out of it... with any luck things will work out in the end.. i hope... working on self employment as a goal, but that's no easy thing.

looks like you got a pretty good handle on wine making.
welcome to the forum, think you will fit in nicely here...it is a good place to be.

Thanks Everyone !.

Spent the last few days reading around, lot of info to soak in, i like it here !

I'm anxiously waiting for the first 2 carboys to be ready for bottling, the next two are a week later..

Last time i made wine ( 15 years ago ) i followed directions to the letter, this was before the days of google... ( was using " dogpile.com " those days.. ) ... so much more to read and learn about nowadays .. it's unreal.

I tend to do things to the extreme, you know, as the mythbusters say, if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing :b

The two previous kits ( costco red, Vino Europa , carbernet sauvignon and Barolo Style ) I foolishly cut back on the stabilizer and clearing solutions thinking it would improve taste and reduce hangovers ( sulphites ) .. still drinkable but one of them turned out a bit cloudy ( the sweeter one ... i did not label them.. so what's what was a mystery .. )

hi ho, hi ho, to read some more i go...

Welcome to a great forum from another maritimer. My wife is also acadian. You will likey find that kits have improved in the past 15 years, especially when you get into the larger kits with grapepacks. Good luck.

Welcome to WMT! The only winemaking forum you will ever need. By the way I love New Brunswick! I also lost my favorite pitching wedge at Algonquin three years ago. My golf game has sucked ever since!

thx guys !.

Last week while degassing a few batches, i noticed that bumping the carboy while under vacuum increased bubble production... so taking it one step further....

spoon-solution.JPG

oh, and it turned into on heck of a friday.... me and a friend drank from the source, started at 11:30am, and by 4pm we were .. done.. in oh so many ways.. ( 2 kits bottled.. 54 bottles remain )

wine.JPG

Latest posts

Back