Hi from Massachusetts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool

Junior
Reaction score
My dads been making wine the old country way for years, I would help but never payed attention to the proper procedure, now he's got Alzheimer's, I'm sad for him first and mad at myself for not paying more attention to him.

Welcome to the forum. They are many resources here to help you with your wine making hobby.

We can't change what has happened in the past but maybe you could include your father with some of your wine making. He may surprise you and recall some things. Plus I'm sure he would enjoy it.

Welcome !
Now what kind of wine do you like? This should be your 1st to make. Do you have any equipment?

Welcome aboard!! Sorry to hear about your father - tough thing to go through - but like Steve said - include him in the process - he might remember some things.

Is this your first go at making wine? What are you planning on making - kits, fruit, grapes?

Thanks Guys, I have all his stuff.
I did like his wine, made the old fashion way, just grapes some sugar & time, this year we made a batch, fermented it then strained put in to a plastic barrel as he has for years, I intended to leave it alone until Jan. but today he thought it was time to start to fill the glass bottles, I tasted it still tastes like it just came out of the fermentation barrel. Will it be ok to bottle it all and age in the glass now?

There are different ways at looking at this depending on your cellaring conditions and type of closure used. If your cellar has stable temps and you are using a good quality cork then it willage gracefully in the bottles, if the temps are not stable and or you are using cheap corks then then can be a bad mistake bottling too soon. Also if using synthetic orks can be a problem with bottling early as those closures dont breath and your wine wont gae under them.

ok i have a good wine cellar stable temp & humidity. some good cork bottles & some screw cap gallons, so this should be a good test. when should i check the wine again?

When was it started and when was it last racked? Do you add any sulfite at least to protect your wine?

2nd week of sept. we started. racked it once right into the15 gal. barrel 10 days later. thats the way i remeber my dad doing it after it stopped boiling (as he calls it) never added any additives.

even w the alheimers now, he has already passed on the most important thing to you

Latest posts

Back