Hi from Barcelona

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carles

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks!

My name is Carles, which is Charles in catalán, and I am from Barcelona. I have some experience brewing beer. I have a friend who has lots of grapes from a garden vine that he won't eat them all, so I thought that we could use some of them for making wine and avoid them spoiling. I will be mostly asking questions about how to make the transition from beer to wine, which I hope it won't be too difficult.

Thanks a lot!

Carles

Welcome to WMT!

My first advice is to ignore everything you know about making beer. Winemaking is different enough that trying to treat it like beer will not work well.

Second advice is to download the MoreWine! red and white grape manuals (link is in my sig). These manuals are very detailed and are too much to absorb all at once. I suggest skimming the red wine manual to understand the process flow, then skim again, looking for more detail. This will actually save you a lot of time.

Good luck!

Hi folks!

My name is Carles, which is Charles in catalán, and I am from Barcelona. I have some experience brewing beer. I have a friend who has lots of grapes from a garden vine that he won't eat them all, so I thought that we could use some of them for making wine and avoid them spoiling. I will be mostly asking questions about how to make the transition from beer to wine, which I hope it won't be too difficult.

Thanks a lot!

Carles
Hi , you have some of the best wines in the wine world .

I made beer for several years before making wine. The only things that transferred nicely from beer to wine was some of the equipment like a carboy, a hydrometer, airlocks, etc.
Also, I lived in Barcelona for 15 years and I really miss the Rioja. Same wine from the liquor store here is not the same. Someday I would like to make a wine like that,
Welcome to WMT

Hello Carles, and welcome!
I have very fond memories of Barcelona and Castledefels; we lived there in the early 1960's. It was there I received an early lesson on wine and love.
Our landlord had grape vines, and a small wine cellar in the basement of the house we rented. His son had a crush on my older sister, and they, and I, would sneak down there to sample the wine barrels.
It brings back fond memories and strengthens my lifetime love of making wine.
Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back