Hey!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YourCaptain

Reaction score
Hey guys
I started with fruit wine making a month back.
I currently have a peach, apple/pear, mango, banana, and pineapple one on the go.
So far the flavors are amazing... Except for the pineapple, which is rather bitter... I was very careful to remove the skin and the woody pieces that protrude into the flesh of the fruit, so I'm sure it's not that. I did not however remove the harder center piece (because we eat it) but was I supposed to? Is this what causes the bitterness? Can it be saved, or should I scrap it?

ForumRunner_20130406_175117.png

Thanks guys

Zane

If all the others are doing well, I am betting the pineapple will come around. Isn't there a lot of acid in pineapple. It may take longer to come around.

Racked the pineapple again today, it tastes better, just nothing like pineapple. Maybe because it's dry? I've just added bentonite clarit for its final rack. After a week I'll stabilise, sweeten and taste again. If it's still bad, no harm no foul. Just have to figure out what the lesson is and learn.

YourCaptain, it sounds like you plan to sweeten the wines after fermentation is completed. If you feel the pineapple needs more taste, you can sweeten it with sugar dissolved in pinapple juice rather than in water. If the wine is fully stablized there should be no problem with re-fermentation. You would probably need some additional time to clarify it, but you would have more pineapple tste.

Latest posts

Back