Help with MLF please ... I'll take as many opinions as I can

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
malbec smell

if done, will sulfite eliminate the musty smell now that MLF is nearing completion within the next few weeks. Should I add more sulfite than recommended...it seems the first dose gets bound up and level come out low

1/2 tsp per five gallons?

Last edited:
ok,

If it is the MLB that caused the musty taste, I would have to say that your dose was perhaps too high.

I believe that a good dose of k-meta will not harm anything. I would give it time and allow the MLB to die off and settle out.... so why not try...

1) once MLF is complete, dose it and wait 2 weeks,
2) give it a good splash racking, dose again with the standard dose (1/4 tsp for a carboy) and wait a couple of months.
3) rack again and check for improvement.

Will do. I used 66 gallon vp41 in 22 gallons so I did overdose it.

So 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons? So about a tsp in 22 gallons? No need to worry about the o.5 molecular stuff and pH titration right?

I don't see why sulfite has to be Sooooo exact? The result seems pretty random. Even when people go off pH and 0.5 molecular charts they don't get what they shoot for anyway?

It's such a small amount of powder--1/4 tsp? I can Imagine using such a tiny fraction more or less makes a difference in my huge tank of wine...am I crazy johnT???

Will do. I used 66 gallon vp41 in 22 gallons so I did overdose it.

So 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons? So about a tsp in 22 gallons? No need to worry about the o.5 molecular stuff and pH titration right?

I don't see why sulfite has to be Sooooo exact? The result seems pretty random. Even when people go off pH and 0.5 molecular charts they don't get what they shoot for anyway?

It's such a small amount of powder--1/4 tsp? I can Imagine using such a tiny fraction more or less makes a difference in my huge tank of wine...am I crazy johnT???

you are not crazy. We are not exact here (speaking a volume dose and not a weight dose)

For a first dose of Sulfite you need way more than just 1/4tsp in 6 gallons…….

That would be some sort of a top up dose for long term bulk aging.

I think that's all that kits come with. I know we're not talking kits here, but 6 gallons is 6 gallons.

Thank you sir, can you elaborate? Much appreciated. Is doubling it from 1/4 to 1/2 a lot more....seems so little I can't imagine it affects flavor

Last edited:
Yes, and there is a reason why they package 4-5 grams KMETA for 6 gallons of kit wine. That is because ~50% of the initial dose will get bound up immediately and will thus not be "free" to protect the wine anymore from oxidation.

Thus using the same rule (wine is wine be it a kit or fresh grapes) You should add 4-5 grams per 6 gallons as the first initial dose if you want to be on the safe side and you have no method of accurately measuring free SO2 (like a Vinmetrica or A/O rig)

So for 22 gallons that would be ~ 2.5 - 3.5 tsp for an initial dose or 15 - 18 gm

1/4tsp =1.4 gms KMETA

I think that's all that kits come with. I know we're not talking kits here, but 6 gallons is 6 gallons.

Hope I am not hijacking this thread but I have a question. I have 6 gallons so for my initial dose I will use 4.5 grams. What and when should I do the second dose.

Without proper testing its all just a WAG. I have had that dose be just fine for up to 6 months in a carboy (stoppered). I use an A/O rig for SO2 testing.

Latest posts

Back