Help with a recipe.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliveking

Junior
Reaction score
I just bought 3 gallons of cherry juice. I will have to add water to it so it should come out to be about 5 gallons. Can anybody help me out with a recipe.
My specific gravity reading in the juice was 1.140. So i will have to water it down to get a reading at 1.085. Do i need to add tannin? What about acid blend?

5 campden tablets
yeast energizer
yeast nutrient

Thanks for the help.

Add enough water to thin it out to a proper gravity level. Acid blend is most likely needed as cherries are normally low in acid. Their dominant acid is malic though. Tannin you may add a small amount but not sure. If the cherry juice is tart you may not want to add tannin. If sweet mabe 1/2 teaspoon.

You can add tannin later. If you can check the acid % of the must. Adding water will lower it a bit. From there you could decide if any acid blend is needed.

Ok so I got my gravity level down to 1.085 and it did make 5 gallons. I do not have a acid test kit right now. So would you add the acid blend or should i wait on that? Would you put in any pectic enzyme? Sorry about all the questions I am sill really new to this wine making stuff but boy it is addicting.

Last edited:
Yes add peptic enzyme and add some acid blend. Add about 2 tsp of acid blend.

Generally you would sulfite your must to kill any unwanted bacteria. Wait 24 hours before adding pectic enzyme. (liquid 3-4 drops per gallon). This helps to break down the cell structure in the fruit/juice. Wait 12 - 24 hours before adding any yeast.

It is best to adjust acid prior to fermentation but can be added later if need be. Tannin can be added anytime. A little can go a long way.

Ferment dry. Stir frequently to release trapped CO2 and other gasses given off by the yeast. This also helps to keep fruit moist and slow oxidation. If you do not have any fruit still stir frequently. If you have fruit in your must remove @ 1.015-1.020

Use a hydrometer to determine when your must is thru fermenting and has become wine.

Latest posts

Back