RJ Spagnols Help which on next? Amarone or Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
I have Winery Series kits of Amarone and Super Tuscan. Not sure what to start next. Which one would be ready to drink sooner if there is a difference.

Now that I'm bottling some batches I have carboys looking at me longingly for some companionship.

I just bottled the Super Tuscan after 6 mos. Nice taste at bottling. I can tell this will be excellent with some more aging. I have a meglioli amarone which I am still bulk aging. I probably will bottle at the 9 month mark. From what I have read, amarone needs a lot of aging in comparision to other wines to bring out its fine points.

I myself think the Winery Series is better but thats personal prefernce. I havent made the Winery Series Amarone but can tell you the Super Tuscan is the best kit Ive ever made followed by the EP Amarone.

Rob, many people feel that Amarone should age longer than most wines. Therefore, I would put the Amarone on first and then the Super Tuscan. I have made both and they are excellent. I agree with Wade that the Winery Series Super Tuscan is probably the finest kit wine I have made.

OK Thanks. Super Tuscan goes first so I can build up the cellar stock! I'll get the Amarone started right after that comes out of the secondary.

Why can't you buy patience? Or why can't someone invent instant age wine maker?

AMARONE IS BEST AT THE 5 YEAR MARK AND BEYOND:db

I, for one, do not have the self-discipline to wait 5 years!
But I'll confess that I have about 10 bottles left of a Cru Select (16L kit) Amarone that I bottled in 2008 that I'll start sampling in the coming months.

I have Winery Series kits of Amarone and Super Tuscan. Not sure what to start next. Which one would be ready to drink sooner if there is a difference.

Now that I'm bottling some batches I have carboys looking at me longingly for some companionship.

I think that as a general rule, blends drink sooner than varietals, so the Super Tuscan is a good choice.
I haven't yet made a Winery Series kit but I'm convinced I should get this one from the reviews.

I am going to start the super tuscan soon. I've put up 6 kits since Nov 1, the Tuscan will be the 7th. all prior to that have been Winexpert. 2 questions. The directions seem straight foward, but any hints on technique not in the printed sheet? Are the spagnols better kits? I am a rookie I will take all the sage advice I can find. I was a chemist in a past life so lab (vintner) technique should'nt be a problem. I know however there is always a better way than the text book.

kevin:

Some people prefer Winexpert kits, and others prefer the RJ Spagnols kits. Personally I don't think there's a lot of difference between comparable kits, but I haven't done any serious comparisons between the two brands.

One thing is that the additives and instructions are different, so make sure you read the RJS instructions closely.

Steve

I bottled my Super Tuscan a little over a month ago after aging 10 months in carboy, and oaking in barrel for a few weeks, last night I had a .375ml bottle leftover from bottling, And I was really surpriced on how good it tasted. May have to make another one fast!!!

Latest posts

Back