Help!!! To much calcium carbonate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakersoaker

Reaction score
Help I was making blackberry wine and I misread the directions on the calcium carbonate I was trying to raise the ph from 3.1 to 3.4 . I thought the direction said 2 tsp per gallon to raise ph by .1 so I added 3 ts per gallon to 7 gallons of must.21 tsps total. What it actually said was 2tsp per gallon lowers total acid by .1 now I have a ph of 5.0. Is it ruined?

Help I was making blackberry wine and I misread the directions on the calcium carbonate I was trying to raise the ph from 3.1 to 3.4 . I thought the direction said 2 tsp per gallon to raise ph by .1 so I added 3 ts per gallon to 7 gallons of must.21 tsps total. What it actually said was 2tsp per gallon lowers total acid by .1 now I have a ph of 5.0. Is it ruined?

It will just remove more acid than you wanted and raise the PH higher than it should be. Once it gets integrated and after the wine is racked, adds some more acid (acid blend or Tataric) to the wine. Just be careful and always add only half of what you believe is the correct dose; then measure a second time and possibly add some more acid.

That is a lot to add. pH 5.0 is way too high and in order to make a stable wine you will need to bring it back down. My guess is the wine will have a chalky taste from all the calcium and there's nothing you really can do about that at this point. I suppose you have nothing to lose if you keep going forward. See how it turns out. It may be drinkable.

That is a lot to add. pH 5.0 is way too high and in order to make a stable wine you will need to bring it back down. My guess is the wine will have a chalky taste from all the calcium and there's nothing you really can do about that at this point. I suppose you have nothing to lose if you keep going forward. See how it turns out. It may be drinkable.

Yep, that's a lot of calcium carbonate. There maybe something you can do to remove that taste if it does become a problem, but off-hand, I don't know.

At that pH level, the wine is really going to be susceptible to spoilage, so take care of it with proper doses of Kmeta.

Time can heal a lot of (wine) wounds.

The best answer I can come up with would be to get more blackberries, juice them and add enough to bring the pH down to about 3.6. The good thing about this option is more wine.

Other than that I'd say add some tartaric acid to get the pH around the same range. Blackberry dominate acid is malic so the calcium carbonate reduced malic and you will be replacing with tartaric which is less bitter this could be a good thing. Agree with others that there could be a chalk taste in the end. Don't know if something like Polyclar 10 or some other fining agent would help reduce the taste.

Back