WineXpert Help me select a red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I don't venture from Cabernet, Merlot or Zinfandel. I really like zin. I am not wild about shiraz or Pinot Noir. I have considered selecting a Vintners Reserve World Vineyard Series red. Here are the choices:

A. California Trinitiy Red

B. Chilean Malbec

C. Italian Barolo

D. Italian Sangiovese

E. Spanish Tempranillo

Given that I like the three wines mentioned above, which of the above do you think I would enjoy the most and why?

I appreciate your suggestions.

I'd say Trinity Red or Malbec.

Trinity has the Cab and Merlot you said you like. Malbec is a good all-around red wine that could compete with Cab.

My red tastes are similar to yours. The first high end kit I plan to do is Chilean Malbec...can't get enough of SA Malbec!

As you seem to be naming Winexpert products, E. Spanish Tempranillo (with grapeskins). I have made it twice now, and it is difficult to keep in the cellar. I would also add another:
Italian Brunello (with grapeskins)

I think the Malbec will be closest choice for you. I have made all except the Trinity Red. Sangiovese is our most popular, then Barolo, tempranillo and malbec.

Sounds pretty much I can't go wrong. Leaning towards Malbec because everyone seems to think I would like it more.

Thanks to all.

There is really only one choice from that list. Chilean Malbec! No question.

I have done the California Trinity Red and the flavor profile is good but it is thin. Doing it again I would put it in my neutral barrel for 6 months and adjust the oak profile after that with French oak spirals. After I do the 4 kits waiting on me this board has me convinced I need to do a malbec. What do you think is the best Malbec kit out there?

I would say you're going to be really happy with a malbec as well.

I'm personally a BIG fan of the Cheeky Monkey Chilean Malbec. It's not high end, but man is it good! I'm finishing off the last glass of the last bottle in a 9 month old batch (my first red) and the flavours are just huge; the mouth feel is big and fat, and I'm wishing desperately that my next batch was ready!

The World Vineyard kits are 10L kits. Is there a big cost difference to move up to a Selection kit? They are 15-18L, and some are available with skins (skins kits are 18L). I have made the Brunello kit (in fact, am enjoying a glass as I type this waiting for the Blackhawks playoff game to start), and it is excellent. There are also Tempranillo and Argentine Malbec skins kits available. I have not made a Vintners Reserve kit. My understanding is that Tempranillo is similar to Cabernet. Let us know what you choose and how you like it!

The World Vineyard kits are 10L kits. Is there a big cost difference to move up to a Selection kit? They are 15-18L, and some are available with skins (skins kits are 18L). I have made the Brunello kit (in fact, am enjoying a glass as I type this waiting for the Blackhawks playoff game to start), and it is excellent. There are also Tempranillo and Argentine Malbec skins kits available. I have not made a Vintners Reserve kit. My understanding is that Tempranillo is similar to Cabernet. Let us know what you choose and how you like it!

About $30. A buck a bottle is all.

If you choose one of the kits you originally listed, there will be the expected differences in taste and all, but the steps in crafting the wine and the overall quality of the result will likely be similar. If you elect to move into a higher end kit, there is the factor of greater cost weighed against the likelihood of being capable of yielding an even higher quality wine, but also one for which you might need to wait a bit longer to truly appreciate that extra cost and effort. If you are looking for an "early drinker", you might consider sticking with one of your original choices. BTW, if making a red that comes along quickly is one of your goals, I have had good experience with the WE Selection Original Luna Rossa kit (15 L, no skins).

Back