Help me ID this Beatle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatd69

Reaction score
Help me ID this Beatle and what to I need to spray. I also need advice on spraying proactively.
ThanksImageUploadedByWine Making1404180498.216984.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have googles and still can't fined out what it is.

I've had them in my garden in years past I believe. Possibly a potato beetle???? Not sure though.

It is a Rose Chafer and in large numbers they can get on the grapes and chew them bad. I is especially bad pre-bloom as they feed on the tender bloom clusters and will ruin the crop.
Sevin works well for them.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/grapeipm/rose_chafer.htm

3fa8cb2f1ebf282702a8dfd833acccd8.jpg

Not sure that's a rose chafer. The color looks to be a bit more brown and the antennae look longer than a rose chafer. But whatever it is, they are obviously not something you want on your vines.

I have a lot of rose chafers out here right now and they do chew on the leaves of mainly my apple trees. I spray as soon as I see them and it knocks them back pretty hard.

Pat

I am going to spray what ever it is with seven. I hope this does the trick.

It could be something else besides a rose chafer although they do vary in color a bit and the antenae in the picture is a bit unclear. Whatever beetle it is carbaryl (Sevin) is very effective. Just don't abuse the use of it. It has a negative impact on beneficials as well as the target pest so only use when necessary.

Thanks for the information.

I sprayed today, I hope this takes care of it.

Latest posts

Back