Help blueberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosher

Junior
Reaction score
I am about to start a blueberry wine.I found this recipe on winemakers magazine web site.Does the amount of sulfite sound right? I will be tripleling the recipe for 50lbs of blueberry's, so that would be about 15 grams of sulfite.That sounds real high.Thank you in advance for your help Summertime Blueberry Wine
Makes 5 gallons (19 L)

15 lbs. (6.8 kg) blueberries
9 lbs. (4 kg) sugar
2–3 cups grape concentrate
(optional — this will add to the
wine’s fruitiness)
2.5 tsp. acid blend
2.5 tsp. pectic enzyme
3 tsp. yeast nutrient
0.18 oz. (5 g) potassium metabisulfite
(approximately 150 ppm SO2)
2 tsp. potassium sorbate
1 tsp. tannin
Yeast (Lalvin EC1118 or
Lalvin 71B-1122) 1. Crush the blueberries.
2. Add the water-sugar mixture and enough water to make 5 gallons (19 L). Add potassium metabisulfite. Cover and let sit for two days.
3. Add sugar, if necessary, to reach specific gravity of 1.090.
4. Add the tannin, acid blend, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Stir everything to blend.
5. Maintain a constant fermentation temperature range between 70–75 °F (21–24 °C).
6. Add yeast to the must.
7. Stir the floating cap of fruit pulp into the fermenting must twice a day during fermentation.
8. Fermentation will continue for approximately 14 to 21 days. Take notice if the bubbles in the airlock have gotten very slow — that is a good sign that the fermentation is coming to an end. Use your hydrometer to monitor and make sure that the fermentation has stopped.
9. Use a mesh bag to extract the juice from the blueberries in the must. Rack the remaining juice to a carboy, leaving the sediment (lees) behind. If possible, move the wine to a cooler place, like a basement, to clear. Rack the wine at least two more times before even thinking about bottling it. Add another Campden tablet to the wine after each racking. The wine should age at least three months.

The fruit is LOW
3# per gal is LOW
boost it X2 5-6# per gal
I would not add campton every racking.
Once wine is dry .990 then add 1/4tsp meta
If you plan on backsweetening or adding a f-pac then add 1/2tsp Sorbate per gal. If not planning on adding either then Sorbate not needed.
I would "age" 6 monthe min.
Blueberry will have alot of sediment so only rack when you have a firm sediment on the bottom (3-5 weeks)

Agree with Tom, needs more fruit, but remember more fruit could equal more acid, so you may not need to add the acid blend, test first before adding.

Sorbate per gallon

Tom,

I noticed you are calling for 1/2 tsb per gallon of sorbate. The sobate I have suggests 1/4 tsb per gallon to avoid refermentation. I belive I hear experience talking here when you suggest doubling the sorbate. Before I add more though, please confirm this level.

Thanks, Paul

Not sure where you get yours but follow the label. Where you getting yours? Mine is from L D Carlson and states 1/2tsp per gal.

interesting. Must be more concentrated. Use what the label says. (a little more shouldn't hurt)

Latest posts

Back