Help!!! asap Stuck Fermentation ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
ok here's the deal making Cranberry wine this how it started

Cranberry Wine
3 Gal. Recipe

1. 96 oz. can cranberry fruit wine base
2. Fill to 3 Gal. with water
3. 5 ½ lbs. sugar SG. 1.080
4. 2 ½ tsp. yeast nutrient
5. 1 tsp. pectic enzyjimtravels2008me
6. 1 12oz can white grape juice concentrate
7. 3 campden tablets (crushed)
8. 1 pack Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast added this on day 2

Put fruit in strainer bag.
Cover with loose cloth
Day 2 add yeast

SG day 1

day 2

day 3

day 4
1.070 What do I do????

You dont hear any fermentation od no signs of fermentation at all, what is the temp of the must. I cant understand why it would stop so sudden. Are you surer its just not the active fermentation suspending your hydrometer higher due to active ferm. If it trult has stopped then I suggest you get another packet of yeast and make a starter yeast and introduce some of your wine into after it has gotten started good and then add some more after a few hours and keep doing that until you have about a quart or more of your wine in there and then add it back to your wine.

Might want to try and bring down the temp a bit. I know cotes is good to about 86 but 82 is still a bit warm. Cranberries can be a bit challenging making a starter like Wade suggested will help.
VPC

Your problem is probably #5. I think the pectic enzyme got contaminated
smiley36.gif

Give it a good stir and see if it can cool down a bit.

Happy Birthday!

That is pretty warm for a fruit wine, I ferment mine much cooler like around mid to lower 60's. Try adding a tsp of nutrient and give it a good stir and see if that works then do the starter yeast if nothing.

I have made cranburry and it is had to start sometimes. Add more nutrient and energizer

Did you make a starter for the yeast? was it old yeast? Even though the sg dropped a little bit, the yeast might be the problem. The temp at 82 now, but was it hotter when you started? Cotes de blanc supposedly is good up to 86 degrees. It's also said to be a relatively slow start fermenter.

If it was me, I would make a starter bottle of new yeast, and nurse it along till it was good and active and then add to a cooler must than what you have there.

I used the same yeast for my cherry wine and that's working great. So its just the cranberry I guess. Thank for all the help I'll try it all

I have made several cranberry wines and, as noted above, they can be difficult to start. I would definitely prepare a yeast starter that has been acclimated to increasing amounts of the must. By the way, what is the temperature of the room where the must is located? If the must is warmer than the room then fermentation is underway.

well the must is warmer than the room since I had a brew belt on it at the time which I have removed since I was told that its to warm for fruit wine.

made a starter yeast added some yeast energizer and in about 1 1/2 days I put it into the must and off it went

Latest posts

Back