Hello, rookie winemaker here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_in_Subic

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to making wine. I have been home brewing the last year and ran across a recipe for Mango wine. So I have crossed over to trying to make wine.

I started the batch on 12/13/14 and just moved it to secondary a couple of days ago. I topped it off with Moscato (White).

So far I have made a couple of minor mistakes but I believe that it will work out if it sits long enough.

Looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences here.

Jon

hello-rookie-winemaker-here-

Hi There,
welcome to to the forum. A lot of talented people with a lot of knowledge to share.

Corinth

Hi Jon,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Where in the Philippines is Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Zambales is located? My future daughter-in-law is from Manilla.

Welcome aboard!

I'm led to believe that home brewing is more involved than home wine making so you should do just fine with your wine.

To All.. thanks for the warm welcome.

Julie.. The SBFZ is about 2 hours north and east of Manila. It used to be the US Navy base back in the day. Perfect place to retire, clean air, good water, stable power, US made homes, jungle, beach and plenty enough to do.

Sour... I won't get anywhere close to the where the Pope is as it is a madhouse.. :)

Jon
Welcome and please ask questions as there is abundance of knowledge on this forum !!

Hi HB_in_Subic !
Welcome to the forum.
I'm leaving in the Philippines (Pasig ... ).
There is a lot a fruit around that you turn to nice wine ! Try rambutan for instance, or even guyabano, banana or even coffee ... Last year was a bit void in term of wine making I was focusing more on brewing beer and my little new born :). Anyway we should meet one of this day ! PM me in case.
Enjoy this forum!!
Veikos

Thanks veikos and Norcal.

Since I started to make some wine, I know look at the fresh fruit sections with a much different eye.

HB, read your web site. Two suggestions. Eliminate the headspace in your carboy when you next rack it and if the wine does not ferment dry, you run the risk of having it referment in the bottle; your planned sorbate and metabisulphite additions will not kill the yeast that may still exist in the wine.

Thanks Norcal. I did top it off with a few bottles of Yellowtail Moscato. So there is no more head space.

So once the yeast has run it's course and the final gravity is achieved, does it go dormant like with beer? I thought that sorbate and Metabisulphite additions stopped any future growth should you back sweeten it?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Sorbate will prevent the yeast that are there from multiplying, but will not kill the yeast that are there. If you used a commercial yeast, it will be resistent to Metabisulfite. So, best way is to ferment dry, 0 brix, add Sorbate for any stragglers and then back sweeten.
I had a chance to go to camp John Haye a few times. Lake Tahoe of the Philippines!

Thanks for the clarification on what does what. I can't wait to get this bottled and the next batch fermenting with all of my lessons learned applied.

Camp John Haye was nice. Baguio has become extremely crowded. It is a good place to visit but I would not want to live there. Too many stairs (have a bad knee), gets too cold (50s) and is a hassle to drive there. On the plus side, the taxis there are cheap and they are honest (only place here that I have experienced that). There is also a Microbrew Pub there.

Latest posts

Back