Hello! Looking for a little advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan80

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all! Greetings from Indiana. My name is Ryan. My girlfriends birthday is coming up and I was think about getting her started in making her own wine. I think it is something she would enjoy. Other that some of the kits I have seen on the internet I really have no idea about what I would need to get her. If anyone has any advice for me I'd appriciate it very much!
Thanks
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. One of our sponsors, finevinewines.com has a started kit, it will give you the basic equipment you need to start making wine. I think this is a fantastic gift to give to your girlfriend.

Welcome Ryan!

I too think this is a great gift! finevinewines.com has awesome kits and this is a gift both will enjoy making and drinking. My only advice is start off with a 5 gallon kit. I started off with a one gallon and found out very quickly it was too small and went out to a buy bigger carboy...lol

Fine vine wines it is then! I have seen a few kits but really have no idea what makes a good one or what to look for. Thanks everybody for your input!

Welcome Ryan. What wine does she like and get a basic kit of that wine. Yes it is a great way to get started.

We can help you on here. Check the home page here and scroll down there are a list of kit brands. Sometimes Fine Vine wines have sales. Check them out.

She likes olivers soft red and camelot mead. I gather these are a semi sweet, but I have no idea what kit would suit her taste knowing nothing about wine and all.

Another question - how long before her birthday? If you don't have a lot of time - that might want to purchase a kit that will be ready within 6 months to a year.

Start the project on her birthday

then celebrate the process for months to come.
Also lots of simple wine from concentrate projects that have a quick turn around for the holidays.
You can find recipes here for that.
Good Luck
Sounds like that girl has a sweetheart who can read her interests.
This is an idea that gives for many occasions.
Be sure to let her do the gifting of sample bottles to her friends.
All about her and all.

:hb

I would start with a island mist or similar. Most of us don't have the patience to wait a year or more for a batch to age. Especially at the infancy of our hobby. I know with my first few batches it was hard to get them in the bottle.

I have made the black raspberry merlot, it is a hit & ready in 28 days.

If I had to start over again, I'd make an early drinker with each batch that needs aged.

Brian

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. You have helped me a lot! I order a starter package today for her from fine vine wines. I got her the OB Blackberry Merlot. I forgot to order a rack though lol...Ill have to call and add that. I must say that in doing my research on this hobby I am intergued. Anyway, thanks again everyone!
Ryan

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. You have helped me a lot! I order a starter package today for her from fine vine wines. I got her the OB Blackberry Merlot. I forgot to order a rack though lol...Ill have to call and add that. I must say that in doing my research on this hobby I am intergued. Anyway, thanks again everyone!
Ryan

It will make a nice, sweet early drinker. You can be drinking it within two months after fermentation is completed. I have made several of the OB kits.

Have fun!!!

Will do. Now I just need to figure out if I want to give it to her early or not. If I give it to her now she could have it ready to be drunk right around her birthday.

Latest posts

Back