Hello from SW Florida!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abigtroutt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! My name is Bill and I am new to wine making... so new I haven't even made my first batch. I just recently purchased my first small 1 gallon kit and plan on using my own grapes from my backyard. I have 2 small muscadine vines which produced about 10lbs of grapes this year. I was given two additional vines this year doubling my vinyard...LOL! I think they are also muscadine's but the leaves are much bigger?? I am no expert and the person who gave them to me was not either but from what I understand muscadine is all I can grow successfully here.

I purchased the LD Carlson Vintner's 1 Gallon kit which included everything except Pectic Enzyme and Nutrient (which I purchased)

I plan on following the recipe for wild grapes

6 lbs of Muscadine Grapes
6 pts Water
2 lbs Sugar
1/2 tsp of Pectic
1 tsp Nutrient
1 Campden
1 pkg of Red Star Montrachet

Any advice would be very welcome!

I look forward to everyones advice and being a member here. From what I see this fourm has lots of awesome people on it!

Thanks
Bill

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy yourself making that wine.
A word of caution - it can become habit forming... the hobby, that is.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. When making your wine, only add enough water to bring your acid down to .75% or close to it and only add enough sugar to bring your sg to 1.080 - 1.090

Hi Bill!

Great to see you here! I will look forward for neighbor cooperation! I am planning to get some grape plants this fall as well!

Good luck with muscadines!

Welcome fellow Floridian, wondering if you have any idea how long Suppernongs will be avaliable that far south? Thanks, Loren

Welcome fellow Floridian, wondering if you have any idea how long Suppernongs will be avaliable that far south? Thanks, Loren

Loren I'm not sure. My grapes were at the end of the of their run and I just picked the last 1/2 lb from my vines.

Did you ferment your wine with grapes or just a juice?

With the grapes. I have 4 vines but only 2 produced about 10 lbs this year. If your looking to make fruit wines there are several local Farmers Markets where you can get in season fruit much cheaper than the supermarkets.

I was in hopes of getting back home in time to find some suppernongs, but with everything going on up here in Wis. I probably will not make it in time. So while I was at the airport in Minn/St. Paul I went to Midwest Suppliers and bought several concentrates, sure beats paying shipping and they did not charge me tax. Will look for some juice when I get home. Loren

I always go to farmers market next to the sea shell factory. If you know any good places you recommend I will be happy to hear from you more!

I always go to farmers market next to the sea shell factory. If you know any good places you recommend I will be happy to hear from you more!

Here are some other local markets

City of Ft. Myers Farmer's Market
Centennial Park parking lot - Under the Rt 41 Bridge, Ft. Myers
Every Thursday - 7 am to 1 pm (Year Round)

Lakes Park Farmer's Market
Lakes Park - Gladiolus Drive, Ft. Myers
Every Friday - 9 am to 1 pm ( Reopens November through April)

Shell Point Retirement Community
Community Retirement Center - 15101 Shell Point Blvd., Ft. Myers
Every Friday - 8:30 am to 11:30 am (Year Round)

Cape Coral Farmer's Market
Club Square - SE 47th Terr. & SE 10th Pl
Every Saturday - 8 am to 1 pm (Reopens October 15th through May)

Cape Harbor Farmer's Market
Cape Harbor - 5703 Cape Harbor Dr., Cape Coral
Every Saturday - 8 am to 12 pm (June through September)

Sanibel Island Farmer's Market
Sanibel Island City Hall
Every Sunday - 8 am to 1 pm (Reopens November through April)

Back