Hello from North-east England, UK.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u01dtj6

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across this forum a few weeks ago and you all offer some very sound advice.

I started making wine from inspiration from my dad a few weeks ago. Here is a snapshot of one wine out of 3 I've got on the go (bear in mind I started it last weekend). It's a Tea and Sultana wine that is supposed to be very sweet and tastes a bit like mead.

DSCF0392.JPG

Anyone made this one before or similar?

D

Hi, u01dtj6</span>
~ welcome to the forum! That looks really good there - I haven't made tea &amp; sultana wine, but I did make a green-tea-chai wine with grape concentrate added for body.

Did you start it in a primary fermenter or right there in the glass ?

You said this was one of 3, What other batched do you have going?

PS do you have more than just D for an alternate salutation ? u01dtj6 is just hmm, let's say it doesn't really roll off the fingers on the key board!! But "D" will do too!!
smiley1.gif
Here on the board, I go by Pelican aka Mrs. Pelican but my friends do call me variants of Susan too, for example.
smiley23.gif

Hello D and welcome! I have never heard of tea and sultana wine but it soundsintriguing - have you made it before? If you could post the recipe I would be interested in seeing it,
Thanks,
Wayne

oh also D - being from England I'm sure you will know theauto in my photo (if it is not too small to make out)

Hey! Thanks for the replies. It's Daniel. No I don't recognise the car unfortunately, lol.

I haven't made the Tea and Sultana wine before, but my dad has, and he said it's great, even the guys at his local pub wanted to buy it off him, hah! Yeh, I did start it off right in the demijohn, my dad said there's no need for aerobic ferm. but I'll need to rack it into another glass in a few months time.

But I'll be sure to post the recipe as I'm just away out (to the homebrew store funnily enough) and get some pictures of my other 2 aswell.

Great to be on here guys!

OK - well, either that photo was too small orI am just getting too old and Morris Minors no longer roam the roads of England!
smiley1.gif

20090612_065641_IMG_0814_WinCE.JPG

Gosh no. I've never seen one of those before.

I am 21, so I guess I'm a bit too young to have seen one of those. What a beauty though!

Welcome D, look foward to seeing how the batch turns out. Pictures, comments and recipes are very welcome too.

Welcome Daniel, Glad to have you aboard and that wine sounds interesting. What are the other 2 wines you have going?

Hi all,

Here's the recipe as promised! I've got theingredients listedhere in US weights so you wont have trouble converting them.

For 1 (UK sized)gallon
Raisins (or sultanas) 1 1/2 lbs
Sugar 1 1/2 lbs
Tea bags 6
Water to mix with sugar to make syrup
Yeast + Nutrient

There is a recipe in this book I have that tells you to put it in a pan for 3 weeks. But my dad swears by his own method. And it tastes good - very much like mead.

Basically, pour in sultanas into carboy, then brew 1 tea bag at a time into luke warm water (500ml glass) and do 6. Pour them into the carboy with the sultanas (or raisins if you prefer). Fill the rest of the 1 gallon carboy with the melted down sugar, add yeast and nutrient, add airlock and you're pretty much sorted.

Give it a try! I'm going to rack in about 3-4 months time as I'll give it time to clear.

Great to be on here guys!
Dan

Hi again,

My other one is apricot wine from a few tins. Here it is:
http://www.enterthemystery.com/imgs/DSCF0391.JPG</A>

It was my first ever wine which I made about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure I've screwed the batch up, because it has stopped fermenting in the secondary ferm. as you can see there. My other one is apple wine I made from concentrate cartons. I'll get a pic for ya to see tomorrow, but it seems to be going well.

It'd be great to hear some advice on the apricot, though!

Dan

You should get that apricot wine topped up or put into a smaller container or it will oxidize. Looks good though! Glad yo didnt use a pan to ferment in!!!!!

Hey,

Wade, just top it up with cold water, yeh? I'm afraid I might have screwed that one up because no bubbles are coming through the airlock at all.

Here's the other wine. It's an apple one I made from concentrated juice. I forgot to put in yeastnutrient to it. Do you think it is too late to do it now?

DSCF0393.JPG

The tea and sultana one is going great though, can't wait to taste some.

Dan

Daniel, do you have a hydrometer? If not you should get 1 cause it will tell you what is going on with a wine like is it done fermenting or is it a stuck fermentation. A stuck fermentation is when the yeast quits fermenting when it should have gone much lower and that is a dangerous thing if you are bottling this as it could re start fermenting in the bottle and explode or just cause the cork to pop and make a real mess of the place where you keep your bottles. Ive had it happen once to a batch I thought I added sorbate and sulfites to but I guess I didnt for some reason even though I wrote in my notes that I did. It only blew a few corks and believe me that was a big mess. I cant tell you whats wrong with out knowing the specifics of what sg did it start at and what its at know... I would not top off with water on any wine as it will dilute it, what I woukld do is use a like wine or sanitized marbles to displace the difference if you dont have a smaller vessel to rack to.

Hey wade, thanks for the advice there.Unfortunately I don't have a hydrometer basically because I don't know how to use them, and would not know what the SG's are telling me.

That's all I have is a vinometer.

Dan

Hi Daniel,

If you started your ferment in the glass carboys, with less-than the full gallon of water, then you can safely top up with water now. In the book "First Steps in Winemaking" by your fellow Englishman, CJJ Berry -
he says under 'Conducting your fermentation' - "It is good practice to use all the ingredients for one gallon of must, but make up initially only six to seven pints, which can then be topped up later with water to the full gallon."

You have to leave quite a bit of headroom starting in the glass jar or
you won't have enough air for the yeast to do their aerobic thing -
after they've slowed down to a little hissing simmer, you don't need or
want so much oxygen exposure and then it's important to have the
jar/carboy well topped up.

If you started with the full gallon volume and have so much space due to racking losses, then what Wade says is the better approach than topping up with water - you would be diluting the strength, flavor and quality of the finished wine you have there.

The method I use even with juice as the base instead of fruit is to start the must in a bucket, with say 5-6 quarts so just over a gallon, then after the vigorous ferment is finished in a few days or a week, rack it to the gallon jar, off the initial sediment, and if any is left over (usually there is some excess liquid still), I put that into a smaller bottle - either a regular 750ml wine bottle or even a 1 ltr wine bottle to use for topping up after the next racking(s).

And I'll put my vote in for you getting a hydrometer if you don't have one, it's the best tool for telling you what the wine is doing, or has done - and when it's done.

And, welcome again!

Hi pelican,

Thanks for your advice. Funnily enough, the only book I have for winemaking is C Berry's book. My dad gave it to me actually, and is the 1981 edition.
smiley16.gif

I will definately get a hydrometer. I know they are useful indeed.

My apricot wine, I actually started in a bucket. After about 6 days, it did not clear and was very very hazy. This is what it looked like when I put it in a demijohn after the 10 days:

http://www.enterthemystery.com/imgs/DSCF0330.jpg</A>

Dan

My vote is for a hydrometer as well. You'll be glad and if you bottle you'll have less chance of bottle bombs. Here is a link that explains and shows you how to use them.http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/67/58/
Also I highly recommend you pick up a book or 2 about wine making, the mentioned is a great start.
VC

Hey,
Yeh I've read Berry's book (except for the recipe's of course) and it is very good. I guess one of the reasons why I've never bought a hydrometer until now is that my father never used one!

But I'll be sure to get one during my next trip to the homebrewers.

D

Latest posts

Back