Hello from New Jersey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarswamp

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been making wine for a whole two weeks now, Just finished clearing my first wine, a gallon batch of skeeter pee. I have a RJS Orchard Breezin' to start but have been holding off as we've been pretty warm lately and I'm not really not sure if the heat will affect the flavor of the wine, it's been running about 80 deg in my basement, and the directions are calling for 65-72. The skeeter pee went dry in 5 days and I'm thinking that was due to the high temps.

Gary

Gary welcome aboard. We have a great group here and will be happy to help you along on your journey. Journey? Journey....every journey has a destination, and in this hobby the destination is "obsession". Good luck, and we do off counseling services when you reach that point.

Hi Gary,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Yes the heat helped the sp in fermenting quickly. I am surprised to hear your basement is hitting 80's. We are going into August so I would go ahead and start the Orchard Breezin kit, cooler temps will be coming by the time you want to age this. What flavor did you get.

Welcome to the forum. I make a couple to four RJS OB kits each year. Just bottled (actaully bagged) a Cranberry Chianti last week. As Julie said, you should be OK to start your OB kit. Instead of the lid, maybe put a clean towel over the fermenter so some of the heat can dissipate better. With that heat, once out of secondary, be sure to keep it topped off.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Julie, there's about 3' of my basement above ground, it usually runs about 15 deg cooler than outside air temps and we've been in and out of the high 90's for the past couple of weeks, supposed to be back up to 99 tomorrow. :( I got the Raspberry White Zin and I guess I'll start it as soon as I empty my primary, started an apple raspberry from concentrate when I got home tonight. (Or I could buy another primary, Dan did mention "obsession".) LOL

John, I'm from south Jersey, Mullica Hill.

Gary

Julie, there's about 3' of my basement above ground, it usually runs about 15 deg cooler than outside air temps and we've been in and out of the high 90's for the past couple of weeks, supposed to be back up to 99 tomorrow. :( I got the Raspberry White Zin and I guess I'll start it as soon as I empty my primary, started an apple raspberry from concentrate when I got home tonight. (Or I could buy another primary, Dan did mention "obsession".) LOL

Gary

Well Gary, I really hate it when someone makes a post and I have to say "Dan is right!" but he is, you need to go out and buy another primary and carboy. How many do you have anyway?

Right now I have a 2 gallon and a 7.8 gallon primary, a 6 gallon carboy and 5-1 gallon jugs. Next week I'm looking to get a 3 and a 5 gallon carboys.

Welcome to the forum Gary, I'm from North Jersey myself but there's no borders here in Jersey, and only we have Taylor Ham!!

Gary

OK,

So VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION.....

eagles or GIANTS? :try:)

Or better yet Flyers or DEVILS - Jerseys own team (like the Giants should be!)

Welcome from nj

IF YOUR FROM MELLICA HILL RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME IN FRANKLIN VILLE,WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER SOMETIME WE ALSO HAVE A WINE GROUP CALL THE SOUTH JERSEY WINE MAKERS IF YOUR [email protected]:dbMY WIFE BOARDS HER HORSE AT THE MELLICA HILL FARMS..

something to think about

maybe we can see who is in nj and see what we can do to have a get together ?what do you think?:r

eagles or GIANTS?
Trophy.gif
funny20194.gif
STEELERS!

Or better yet Flyers or DEVILS PENS!

Gentlemen, gentlemen, I despise the Eagles and am indifferent to the Giants....it ain't easy being a Cowboys fan in Eagles Country. :)

Wino-O I'm a Flyers fan but that's usually a difficult row to hoe around playoff time too. :( LOL

Joeswine, I'd be open for a get together, but I work construction in schools, and anything would have to wait on my part until at least after Labor Day, the last six week before "back to school" are unbelievably hectic.

Hi Fellow S Jersey member! It's great to see a lot of people from S Jersey on here. I live in Sewell-Mantua Twp.. Not too far from Mullica Hill at all! I didn't know about the S. Jersey group. I think I might check into that as well! :) Cheers! ~ Kate

Latest posts

Back