Hello from NEPA!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosa321

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

I'm a teacher, microbiologist, and science addict from northeastern PA.
I've been muddling in wine making for about 2 or 3 years now. I've done maybe 4 or 5 wine kits. I recently decided to take the leap of faith and do something "from scratch" having felt comfortable with the process. I have my first batch of hard cider going at it now in the primary fermentor.

It's a process. With a learning curve. But it's fun and rewarding and it satisfies my curiosity, and usually my thirst! :)

I'm excited to learn more, to create more, and to meet all of you.

I'm looking forward to it!!! ;)
Rosa

Welcome aboard!

Are you close to the NY Finger Lakes region? If so I'm guessing it would be a good area in which to find juice and grapes.

Not too far from the finger lakes. That's actually where I went to college. A local winery gets grapes from NY.... So yes, much to explore!

Welcome aboard. Our forum member Runningwolf is the Assistant Winemaker at Presque Isle Wines in Northeast PA. Love that area and we make several trips a year...

Welcome aboard. Our forum member Runningwolf is the Assistant Winemaker at Presque Isle Wines in Northeast PA. Love that area and we make several trips a year...

I am sure Runningwolf will be along shortly to point this out, but North East, PA, is nowhere near northeast PA! (It is in the northwestern section of the commonwealth.) I think they do this to confuse people ;) We should plan a road trip from North East, PA to Jersey Shore, PA :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I can promise you that approaching wine from a science forward perspective can be quite rewarding.

Welcome to the forum. I can promise you that approaching wine from a science forward perspective can be quite rewarding.

I've read or more properly said tried to read several articles on the "science" of wine making. Made my head spin. :d

I am sure Runningwolf will be along shortly to point this out, but North East, PA, is nowhere near northeast PA! (It is in the northwestern section of the commonwealth.) I think they do this to confuse people ;) We should plan a road trip from North East, PA to Jersey Shore, PA :D

Welcome Rosa,

sour_grapes,
As a recent citizen (9/11/12) from the UK I am pretty certain that maps and road signs and names of places were all aimed at confusing potential invaders. :)

I've read or more properly said tried to read several articles on the "science" of wine making. Made my head spin. :d

haha I've read a few like that myself! :)

I just LOVE microbiology. So fascinating what those little critters are doing that we can't see.....and how a little change from aerobic to anaerobic can flip such a big switch. Us? We'd die. Them? They make a beautiful beverage!

Welcome Rosa,

sour_grapes,
As a recent citizen (9/11/12) from the UK I am pretty certain that maps and road signs and names of places were all aimed at confusing potential invaders. :)

Indeed.....Northeastern PA and North East PA are two different entities.
BUT....I have family out in the Erie area, and my cousin had her wedding at the Presque Isle Country Club! (She actually had her shower at a neighboring winery, Hertage)

I'll be out that way for another friend's wedding in July.

It's a big state, but a small world :b

Latest posts

Back