Hello from Amanda in France and UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandie14

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a UK girl making wine in a very small family inherited vineyard only 100 vines in France.

This is my third year, year 1 was a disaster, year 2 is drinkable and I am in the middle of year 3. This wine is for home consumption only.

I hope you learned people will be able to help me out from time to time. I have a question now which I will also put on a new thread.

My red wine (unknown grape variety) is in primary fermentation at 25C. I am measuring BRIX and specific gravity with a hydrometer and getting different answers. I only have 30 litres.

eg today (this is day 4 after adding the yeast, BRIX started at 21.4)
9.5 BRIX and 1.014 (I have checked the zero on the refractometer, and the hydrometer was floating although the juice is thick). It tastes great! and I got a whack of CO2 so it must be still fermenting!

yesterday it was 12.2 and 1.030

Hope you have some advice for me!

;)))

Welcome to the forum!

My experience is only with making kits and "fruit" wines but there are others here with enough experience to give you advice. It'd probably be best if you posted, in a new thread, specific questions or concerns you have. Good luck!

Howdy,

Welcome to the forum. I usually don't pay much attention to the brix, but according to the s.g. you are fermenting right along. Looks like things are on track. Good luck with it, Arne.

Last edited:
Welcome Amanda,

If you can provide more info, you will get some better advice. I'm assuming you are fermenting a red wine on the skins? If so, the prescribed process is to press at 0 True Brix. If you are on skins make sure that you are floating your hydrometer in just fluid, as if not, your reading may be affected by interference from the solids in the must.

Best, Fran

Thanks everybody!

Stupid me with BRIX changing and alcohol, all thanks for that!

I pressed the wine today and the sg was 1.005. Since I am trying MLB for the first time, and can't use SO2 to protect, I got scared and decided to rack into carbouys and put bubblers on. Will work out what to do with the MLF tomorrow!

Welcome Amanda,

You are correct with the SO2 and MLF (?), but you should be fine if you keep the carboy topped up to within 4 to 5 cm from the top. The less surface exposure the better. The alcohol will give it enough protection for the period of MLF. I try to always top with wine if I need to but I also have several different size carboys if I loose too much volume at racking.

Bon Jour Amanda!!!

making wine in France can be much different from those of us here in the states. Please feel free to ask questions and we look forward to hearing from you and seeing your vineyard.

Cheers!!

Latest posts

Back