Hello All

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I as well. I bombed about 10 different country wines before I moved on to the kits as well. I realized I needed to stick to what I like! Well so far I have 3 FWK going, the Pinot Noir in Forte, Tavola, and Novella. Also a WE Classic Pinot Noir going, with some Master Vinter Pinot Noir Reserve and Weekday Wine kits, a Fontana Pinot Noir kit, and a Vineco Pinot Noir Signature Series kit waiting on an open fermenter. None have made it to the glass yet! Do you have any experience with any of these?
So, do you like Pinot Noir? 🤔

😜

I have done many kits from Vineco and WE. Low end to highest with WE and higher end from Vinceo. I have to say the Vineco Global series are absolutely worth it. I made a Cab Shiraz Montepulciano that rivals any wine I have ever tasted, but it is all relative to personal taste, of course.

I did a Pinot Noir Vineco Signature series. Probably my second favorite so far ( I bumped up the ABV, it's got some substance!). Unfortunately us lowely Canadians don't have access to FWK kits, but I would love to get my hands on one.

My number one favorite tweak to kits is to pair a yeast with the grape varietal. The EC-1118 included in kits guarantees a successful ferment, but the yeast lacks in producing character building esters. Other yeast can impart a lot more berry and fruit forward notes. Increase mouth feel and body. Even enhance tobacco and other other subtle flavors. I always add a little nutrient to ensure they do not stress, but hands down the best, cheap, and easy thing that you can do to make a cheap kit taste good, and a good kit shine.

Also don't be afraid to Chaptalize, adding sugar to up ABV. Especially because you like PN. It is full enough to take a higher ABV. I often take a kit from a starting gravity of 1.087-1.095 to 1.110 aiming for a fuller, bigger red.

I've attached a couple references that aid in picking yeasts. It adds some fun and makes you feel like more of a winemaker than kit starter.

Attachments

• wyeastpairing.pdf
    251.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Yeast qualities.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I haven't ever had any Norton Grape wine from Louisiana, but I have had Tennessee and Kentucky grown Norton and it seemed to make what I would expect from Norton. It's probably worth trying some before you completely throw it out as not something you want to grow. Norton is a good choice, if the other choice would be sweet muscadine wines and they all seem to be somewhat sweet.
I will definitely give it a shot now that you've mentioned that. Yea I like a sweet wine occasionally but just really enjoy to some degree almost all the varietals of commercial dry wines I have tried. So far the kits have been a real pleasure to mess with so far. Thanks for sharing.

So, do you like Pinot Noir? 🤔

😜
🤣🤣 I figured I'd get that. I do. But the wife exclusively drinks PN so I wanted to make sure I found something she liked at the very beginning. I will definitely be expanding once she is happy. I downloaded and saved those links you sent. And thank you so much for doing that for me. And sharing the results of those kits and the advice. I really appreciate that! And will put that Cab Shiraz on my to do list!

🤣🤣 I figured I'd get that. I do. But the wife exclusively drinks PN so I wanted to make sure I found something she liked at the very beginning. I will definitely be expanding once she is happy. I downloaded and saved those links you sent. And thank you so much for doing that for me. And sharing the results of those kits and the advice. I really appreciate that! And will put that Cab Shiraz on my to do list!
Unfortunately the Global series is a pre order. I think that WE does the same with their limited edition series. They release the blends/varieties available for the year, you pre order and they are released over the following months. I have done 2 and they are both worth the wait, and the price.

And you are most welcome!

Unfortunately the Global series is a pre order. I think that WE does the same with their limited edition series. They release the blends/varieties available for the year, you pre order and they are released over the following months. I have done 2 and they are both worth the wait, and the price.

And you are most welcome!
Did anyone see the limited edition series prices ???

Did anyone see the limited edition series prices ???
They average about $175 Canadian which is $5.80 a bottle. I tried a $100 bottle once just to see and I wasn't impressed. I would say my Global kit is in the 40-50 dollar range, but it is my favorite kit by far. Well worth the cost. I am going to make sure I have a bottle left in 5 years, just to see.

I don't mind the cheap kits to throw into the rotation, but they don't compare to the high end kits, which pale in comparison to the special release kits.

BUT, this is all about what we all like to make and drink. It's not a competition, and I am no more right than you. So if you would rather tweak, then LOOK AWAY! 🤣

I gave up on them several years ago. I didn't find them nearly worth the premium.
Interesting, because I have never tried the limited edition, but the global passport series from vineco is notable better. Both red and white, but more notable in the big, bold reds. They both come from the same parent company, so how much different could they be?

Interesting, because I have never tried the limited edition, but the global passport series from vineco is notable better. Both red and white, but more notable in the big, bold reds. They both come from the same parent company, so how much different could they be?
How did you know if you never tried ?
It’s all subjective anyway , the pricing is out of sight .

Small batches

Attachments

• 9A71BDB5-8F62-45F4-8A7C-4EB1BCFB052A.jpeg
    9A71BDB5-8F62-45F4-8A7C-4EB1BCFB052A.jpeg
    608.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • C111A13D-1923-4FD0-8614-7F53B233207A.jpeg
    C111A13D-1923-4FD0-8614-7F53B233207A.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 0
I am fond of the RJS Cru Specialty dessert wine 3 gallon kits. Those prices jumped this year compared to last - $125 up to $150). It seems even the wine cooler kits that were $69 last year are $99 this year.

You can tweak an expense kit also to give it more depth.
The pricing is getting out of hand not really affordable to most , just my thoughts

Latest posts

Back