have went to the dumpster for bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but as I went to my friends for his empty wine bottles, I told him I needed like 50. His reply was to go to the recycle center.
I went to the recycle center today after it closed..There is an after hours drop off. And I did not want anyone to see me..taking out, not putting in.
I went to the one that said glass.
I got 50 bottles in about 15 minutes...
Cleaned, and sterilized, labels removed...No one will ever know....Cept Me

you mean, you do that also...
kicker is...I got 6 that are black frosted , which are gorgeous...

I used to do that as well..

Recycling is the best thing to ever happen to winemakers!

Then I did the math...

Each bottle I clean is worth about $1.00 (for what I can get them for).
A case, therefore is $12.00.

I used to take me (on average) 5 minutes to clean each bottle. (keep in mind that not all bottles have those "easy to remove" labels. To be quite honest, I started simply buying new ones. It was a lot less trouble and they all are of the same size and shape. It would be a different story if I were retired and could spend a lot of time cleaning bottles, but as luck would have it I have to go to work each day.

Still, since I reuse my bottles, I do have many recycled bottles still in the rotation.

Been there, done that and got 100+ bottles.

I did not have any clear bottles for my DB so I went and found 40 very quickly.

;)

I go into the depot and have them box me up whatever I need and pay them their deposit amt. so
it's about 10 cents a bottle. It works well when I need MGD bottles for my DB and coolers.

I snuk 6 out of the recycle center's glass bin once, thought I was gettin' away with somethin'. We're just never alone are we. 50 in 15? James you are the man!

well i figured out, they dump the bins on monday after the weekend.
so if i go after hours on sunday, i will have the jackpot...lol
vernsgal..whats the depot..
and whats mgd

Hmm.. Not to be a jerk, but taking them after hours from a recycling center is really the same as stealing them. They aren't in the business of collection for the good cause of it you know, it's how they make a living.

well i figured out, they dump the bins on monday after the weekend.
so if i go after hours on sunday, i will have the jackpot...lol
vernsgal..whats the depot..
and whats mgd

No idea on what depot means but MGD is something I am intimately familiar with living in Wisconsin: Miller Genuine Draft

Hmm.. Not to be a jerk, but taking them after hours from a recycling center is really the same as stealing them. They aren't in the business of collection for the good cause of it you know, it's how they make a living.

I am not too sure what it is like in other areas of the country, but in NJ our recycling is a joke. Although recycled, if there is no buyer for the raw materials, or the price they get is too low, the bottles and cans simply get sent to landfill.

Downwards, HOW CAN YOU STEAL GARBAGE???????

Our recycling center expects you to deliver your goods on site (no pick up at your home). I used to go during hours and they could care less if I picked through their bins. They even joke that everybody else drops off but only I pick up.

My town's Dump/Recycling Center used to allow scavenging but that was years ago. None is allowed now due to liability concerns. I might not sue if I got cut by glass or whatever while scavenging but perhaps not so the the next person. Any Center allowing scavenging is putting itself/the town is, I believe in this day and age, taking a big risk.

Wow, I am glad to live in Missouri. I go straight to the wineries and ask them for used bottles. Most of them say, there you go, load up what you want. Some of them charge a minimal amount $2 or $3 per case.

Of course, I also have to sample and drink a bit of wine while I am there.
Now that's deal I'd like to find

I have a friend who works at a restaurant/wine warehouse. He gets all of his friends to put all the used wine bottles from their clients in a crate at the back of the kitchen, and brings me a crate every time I go to church.

Ah! Well that is different from out here then, where they are mostly private companies we drop off to and they pay us cash for them. Sorry about my comment where ever it doesn't apply!

its how who makes a living...our recycle center is ran by the city, with city employees...sitting around doing nothing most of the time. And in true reality I am recycling....

dessertmaker: here in texas it is against the law for a bar/restaurant to have empty, non broken bottles on the premise. all bottles have to be broken so as not to be filled with another type of wine, are liquor. I wish it was not so..

Latest posts

Back