Have I messed up with not enough fruit???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firejohn03

Reaction score
Maybe the wrong forum for this question, so I apologize. I am looking at a lot of the recipes on the forum and see for fruit wines 6-10 fruit/gal is optimal. I do not know how much fruit I have used. I just started a five gallon batch of blackberry. Been in my primary for 4 days now. I hand picked wild blackberries and had a five gallon bucket about 2/3 full. Does anyone know if that is even close to the 30-50 lbs. of fruit needed? I didn't weigh it out and I don't think it felt that heavy. Did I mess this up. Primary tastes great, and it seems to have a lot of fruit flavor.

Well, 2/3 of 5 gallons of water is around 26#. So yes, you might be a little short by the 6-10#/gallon standard. But people make wine at 5#/gallon. Jack Keller, who, granted, around ere is known for being light on fruit, has won awards with blackberry wine using as little as 3-4#/gallon.

I would stay the course if I were you.

I did something Googleing this morning and came up with this. Blackberries weigh about 4.5 to 5 pounds per gallon. Not as heavy as water because you have a lot of air in between those berries. Two thirds of five is 3.33, so you have 3.33 times 5 equals 16.65 pounds let's say. That comes to about 3 and a third pounds per gallon. I think you are going to be light on the fruit but you could add some blackberry concentrate at the end to get more flavor.

FIRST Toss in a can or two of blackberry concentrate. It Will increase you sugar a bit but will help unthin it.

SECOND If you plan to back sweeten you can do so with a can of concentrate or two. Wine will be thin but better tasting. You would need to put concentrate in a beaker and test the gravity, then use the "Pearson Square" calculate how many cans you would need.

THIRD You could even do both.

blackberries range from 38 to 41 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket filled level with the top. depending on the ripeness......and if you do not mash them.
i would go pick are buy another gallon, add 8 cups sugar, cook down on stove until its reduced by 1/2, i would use that to back sweeten and flavor.

James, not doubting you but that is about 8 pounds per gallon which sounds high.

Thanks guys. Blackberries are disappearing off the vines around here , so picking more is out of the question. I didn't think of the concentrate. I want this to go dry. If I add now will it ferment out ? Should I add more yeast booster?

Thanks guys. Blackberries are disappearing off the vines around here , so picking more is out of the question. I didn't think of the concentrate. I want this to go dry. If I add now will it ferment out ? Should I add more yeast booster?

What was your beginning SG and where is it now?

hey, weigh em...i weight out 80 gallons this year, gallon by gallon on a hanging scale, so we good mark the weight on the bags.

If you get them in there shortly, it should have no trouble fermenting out. I would get some bought, let them get to room temp. and pitch em in. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks guys/gals. I have my wife picking up 6 more pounds of frozen blackberries. I'm going to pitch them this evening , and still have four of five days fermentation to go. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger lol....

Latest posts

Back