Has anyone every seen this clouding issue (Strawberry Wine)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgx2

Reaction score
I had something interesting happen with my strawberry wine. I put a nice, clear bottle into the fridge to get a nice chill on it and when I took it back out it was very, very hazy! It also appeared to stay that way, even after it warmed, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the recipe for this 3 gal batch was:
4 kg frozen strawberries
2 cans Welch's 100% Red Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
2 kg light brown sugar (target SG 1.090 - this is how much I needed)
6 tsp "red" acid blend
3 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp grape tannin
11.5 litres of water
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg Lalvin-1118 champagne wine yeast

Put the berries in a fruit bag, then thawed in a small amount of the water and the pectic enzyme, then crushed thoroughly. Thawed the concentrate and added to the fruit. Dissolved the chemicals in one of those cans filled with hot water, added to the fruit. Dissolved the brown sugar in a few litres of hot water, stirred well and added to the fruit. Added the remainder of the water, not not. Confirmed SG was at 1.090 and temperature was good, then pitched the yeast.

Checked SG daily, gently squeezed fruit bag each time. Removed fruit bag when dry (7 days after pitching yeast). Racked a few days later. Stabilized and clarified with siligel/liquigel three weeks later. Aged for three more months, filtered and bottled.

Here's a picture of the bottle just before I put it into the fridge:

Batch-18-Thumb-image.jpg

I am not sure what "red" acid blend is. But I suspect you have precipitated either tartrates or other proteins when you chilled it. This is why we typically cold-stabilize wine before bottling. When you chill a wine the solubility properties of stuff dissolved in it changes.

Probably "chill haze". Super common in home wine/beer making. As GreginND suggested, cold stabilization should remove it. Basically you figure out a way to store the wine at 36 degrees or so for a couple of weeks.

jamesngalveston said:
wheres a pic of it after the fridge...would be help full

Well, silly me - I forgot to attach that to the first post!!

image-2326463863.jpg

Sorry!

GreginND said:
I am not sure what "red" acid blend is. But I suspect you have precipitated either tartrates or other proteins when you chilled it. This is why we typically cold-stabilize wine before bottling. When you chill a wine the solubility properties of stuff dissolved in it changes.

I once ran across two varieties of acid blend - "white" and "red", wherein the red version has no citric acid, I believe. It sounds like the consensus is in - I should have cold stabilized...

So, in my ideal setup of the future :h how long does it take to cold-stabilize a 5-6 gal carboy full of wine? Do people tend to use old fridges or converted "bar" fridges?

So, in my ideal setup of the future :h how long does it take to cold-stabilize a 5-6 gal carboy full of wine? Do people tend to use old fridges or converted "bar" fridges?

Im wondering the same? 36 is almost freezing.

I like my strawberry best un-chilled, or just very slightly cooler than room temp (my wine room temp). Do a taste test and see if you agree! You might find that you don't have to do anything with it.

Interesting update - when I let it warm up to room temperature it goes perfectly clear again. LOL

I like to cold stabilize for a minimum of two weeks. Often I'll chill it for a month or so. Easy to do here in the North Dakota winter!

If you can chill it down to 25 degrees, even better.

Tess, alcohol has a lower melting point than water. Thus wine freezes at a lower temp. A 13% abv wine should not freeze at 25 degrees F.

Latest posts

Back