Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda know what the wine will be like after the CO2 goes bye bye. But this really has all kinds of flavors I've never experienced in a young wine. First try at this Pinot Noir thing. Wasn't sure what to expect because it is from Chile. I can go get a Cali or Oregon or Washington State PN off the shelf pretty easily at the State Store, but Chilean PN's are hard to come by. Seen a few from Agrentina, but that is the closest I've sampled.

Funny you mention that. I was searching for a PN for tomorrow when my MIL, mother and of course wife will all be here for dinner. I'm actually doing Greek style chicken pitas, but the only two big wine drinkers here will be me and my Dad. He generally just doesn't do white wine, so I was looking for a PN at the store (normally, I'd just go with a Rose, or a SB. My local Giant had 1, yes 1, PN that was NOT from California. There must have been 50 total. It was so disappointing and reminded me of why I was originally thinking of driving the extra 10 miles to Wegmans.

... but the only two big wine drinkers here will be me and my Dad. He generally just doesn't do white wine, so I was looking for a PN at the store (normally, I'd just go with a Rose, or a SB. ...

I think you need to add a PN to your cellar! If I like how this Pinot is doing in August I might try a Californian version of it this fall. I have some people who I want to give a wine too, but they seem to prefer a lighter red, which is the category I expect this wine I just made to fall into.

I think you need to add a PN to your cellar! If I like how this Pinot is doing in August I might try a Californian version of it this fall. I have some people who I want to give a wine too, but they seem to prefer a lighter red, which is the category I expect this wine I just made to fall into.

My first attempt hasn't turned out to well. But I'm toying with the idea of a bucket-n-grapes in the fall. I think I tend to be a little non-traditional in what I like for a PN though. Heavier body and more fruit tends to drive my appreciation of Pinots.

My first attempt hasn't turned out to well. But I'm toying with the idea of a bucket-n-grapes in the fall. I think I tend to be a little non-traditional in what I like for a PN though. Heavier body and more fruit tends to drive my appreciation of Pinots.

Before I got this bucket and grapes, I was thinking that a Chilean Pinot would be exactly what you describe. But now that I'm making it and tasting it, it seems more reserved than what I expected. I'm sure at some point when I deem it ready you'll get a sample bottle, you'll just have to make the decision of whether I waited long enough for it to have aged properly before you open it.

Racked all 4 last night and will pitch MLB tonight. They are all tasting kinda harsh right now. Expected, but after the way my wines were tasting early on last fall, I think the bar is pretty high. Still really impressed with those grapes from Lanza and looking forward to doing more.

Racked the Pinot Noir this morning, got 6 gallons + a 3 L jug. Smelled pretty darn good and had enough staining power for me to realize it's time to change my racking tube attached to the canes. Didn't have enough time to rehydrate the MLB so will do tonight.

Also need to rack the two Pinot Grigio buckets, down to a blurp every 30 seconds or so. Got the 6 gallon carboys resanitized so should be ready to go when I get home.

Do you guys happen to know if cold stabilization will work at 38 degrees Fahrenheit? Does it need to be 32 or below? I have 6 gallons going thru MLF, but I need to do something about the 1 gallon jug not going thru MLF. The pH is 3.2 and so I figured CS could get pH to 3.4, maybe wishful thinking? I purposely didn't put this 1 gallon thru MLF because I wanted to compare the two.

I forgot to mention. I'm asking about 38 degrees because the 1 gallon jug will fit in my fridge that goes down to 38.

Do you guys happen to know if cold stabilization will work at 38 degrees Fahrenheit? Does it need to be 32 or below? I have 6 gallons going thru MLF, but I need to do something about the 1 gallon jug not going thru MLF. The pH is 3.2 and so I figured CS could get pH to 3.4, maybe wishful thinking? I purposely didn't put this 1 gallon thru MLF because I wanted to compare the two.

Quite wishful thinking, CS on a wine with a Ph of 3.2 will only serve to lower the Ph, not raise it.

Here's an article of interest on the subject:

http://extension.psu.edu/food/enology/analytical-services/assessment-of-cold-stabilization

Last edited:
Quite wishful thinking, CS on a wine with a Ph of 3.2 will only serve to lower the Ph, not raise it.

Here's an article of interest on the subject:

http://extension.psu.edu/food/enology/analytical-services/assessment-of-cold-stabilization
Thanks for this. From the MoreWine guide:

"The inverse is equally correct: if your pH is low, then lowering your acids (with a cold stabilization, chemical adjustment, or MLF) will raise your PH"

I read the above and just assumed CS would raise the pH from 3.2

Why even mention CS as a method for raising pH when it only does so with a pH of 3.6-3.7 or above (assuming I read correctly)? Seems misleading.

Last edited:
Checked on my babies this morning. They seem just fine, so I put on a little Don Ho and left them for the day.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCiDEXuxxA[/ame]

Why even mention CS as a method for raising pH when it only does so with a pH of 3.6-3.7 or above (assuming I read correctly)? Seems misleading.

If you just don't like wine diamonds in your wine, even if it's below Ph 3.6, then go ahead and do it, but do it at a temp that you don't plan for your wine to ever be below. IMHO, there is no need to CS at temps around freezing if your wine will never see those temps again, unless speed to bottling is somehow more important. If you intend to store and serve your wine at 55, then CS at 55 during bulk aging. Review the article again, more precipitation occurs at lower temps than higher, more precip affects your wines Ph more than lower precip. If you then desire to raise your Ph, as Jim said, use potassium carbonate.

Wine diamonds are not considered a wine flaw, but commercial producers, for various reasons, don't want them in their wines. Decant your wine through an aerator / strainer before serving, no big deal, I do that anyway.

Almost had some fun this morning. Rehydrated the MLB in a solution of water and Acti-ML. Have the 6 gallon carboy with the Pinot Noir pretty darn full, so I just added a "drip" of the mixture. You all know what happened next, that wine started releasing volumes of CO2 faster than I can reach for a beer when I get home from work. Just happened to have my wine thief and a 2 cup pyrex container close by and started thiefing my heart out. Lost about two thimbles worth of wine down the sides of the carboy. Removed another few cups before adding the rest of the mixture.

The 4L container was much easier since I could put it in the sink easier. Both are bubbling contently at this point, so I think I have MLF liftoff. Took a sample before I added the MLB to do a Chromatography test and just started the nasty developer stage. Hoping it will fully wicked by bed time so I can dry it overnight.

Time to get off my aching butt and rack the Pinot Grigio buckets. Moved several ton skids of manuals around today to help our new fulfillment department next to our area, I'm too old for that kind of work, my body hurts.

Edit: I'm heartbroken, PG bucket #1 is 1.010 @ 64*F, looks like grapefruit juice, so I know the yeast is still in suspension. Didn't want to rack tonight (like it to get below 1.000) so I guess I'll go to bed... :h

Last edited:
Almost had some fun this morning. Rehydrated the MLB in a solution of water and Acti-ML. Have the 6 gallon carboy with the Pinot Noir pretty darn full, so I just added a "drip" of the mixture. You all know what happened next, that wine started releasing volumes of CO2 faster than I can reach for a beer when I get home from work. Just happened to have my wine thief and a 2 cup pyrex container close by and started thiefing my heart out. Lost about two thimbles worth of wine down the sides of the carboy. Removed another few cups before adding the rest of the mixture.

The 4L container was much easier since I could put it in the sink easier. Both are bubbling contently at this point, so I think I have MLF liftoff. Took a sample before I added the MLB to do a Chromatography test and just started the nasty developer stage. Hoping it will fully wicked by bed time so I can dry it overnight.

Time to get off my aching butt and rack the Pinot Grigio buckets. Moved several ton skids of manuals around today to help our new fulfillment department next to our area, I'm too old for that kind of work, my body hurts.

Edit: I'm heartbroken, PG bucket #1 is 1.010 @ 64*F, looks like grapefruit juice, so I know the yeast is still in suspension. Didn't want to rack tonight (like it to get below 1.000) so I guess I'll go to bed... :h
Haha little pucker factor eh

Latest posts

Back